Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Amine Contactor

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 process101

process101

Gold Member

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:13 AM

Hi every one
I am having problem for which i get different explanation from different engineers.
We have Circulation pump which pump amine to amine contactor at 900 psig. A 2" pipe goes to flash tank from the discharge pipe as you can see in drawing.the flash tank Operating pressure is 75 psig. So what will be the pressure of amine in 2" pipe. remember the discharge pipe has 900 psig working pressure.

My Second question is that
The inlet gas has 800 psig pressure. what will happen? if you inlet amine pressure goes below 800 psig. Why do we need in let Amine Temperature and pressure above the inlet gas T and P?
Thank you very Much for your help.

Attached Files

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:03 PM

Process:

I can't open your file in the Exel format. Are you sure the file is an Excel file?

#3 Qalander (Chem)

Qalander (Chem)

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 829 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE (process101 @ Oct 10 2008, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi every one
I am having problem for which i get different explanation from different engineers.
We have Circulation pump which pump amine to amine contactor at 900 psig. A 2" pipe goes to flash tank from the discharge pipe as you can see in drawing.the flash tank Operating pressure is 75 psig. So what will be the pressure of amine in 2" pipe. remember the discharge pipe has 900 psig working pressure.

My Second question is that
The inlet gas has 800 psig pressure. what will happen? if you inlet amine pressure goes below 800 psig. Why do we need in let Amine Temperature and pressure above the inlet gas T and P?
Thank you very Much for your help.

Dear Process101,

1)It is not opening check your sofware and sending/saving.

2)Your query has your answer in it; Flow is always from higher pressure to lower zone(s) we all know this, including your goodself.

Regards
Qalander

#4 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:17 AM

1) Pressure in the 2" line - upstream of LCV - is equal to the absorber pressure minus pressure drop in the system up to the LCV. Pressure downstream of LCV is equal to the flash tank pressure plus pressure drop between downstream of LCV and the flash vessel. LCV itself creates high pressure drop.

2) Inlet gas pressure should be sufficiently above the absorber operating pressure; otherwise there can be no flow of sour gas to the absorber.

3) Lean amine temperature should be always ~5C above the inlet gas temperature in order to avoid condensation of heavier hydrocarbons present in the gas, after contacting with amine solution. Condensation of hydrocarbon induces foaming, amine carryover/flooding, off-spec products and a bunch of operational difficulties.