Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Distillation Column Cost

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 oil_engineer

oil_engineer

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:24 AM

Hey everyone, i'm a first year oil engineering student, fortunately biggrin.gif i'm taking distillation with the lovely chemical engineering students. anyways, as we oil engineers the rivals to chemical engineering students my classmates refused to help me ( joke we are all lost actually biggrin.gif ). if anyone please can help me with distillation i have few questions in multicomponent distillation

1-if we want to build a distillation tower to separate different components, what is the perfect number of trays we should use? i have the data for the reboiler/condenser duties and i have also the reflux ratio for different option of trays, what should be the main factor that i base my option of trays on?, the lowest duties or lowest reflux ratio?

2-what is the relationship between the number of trays and a)reflux ratio, b)column diameter,c)condenser duty, d)reboiler duty, e)the pressure of the bottom products because i have same pressure for top product in different number of trays but different pressures for bottom product in different number of trays.

3-this is the last part i'm sorry for taking alot of your time my friends, what is the net present value, is it going to affect my choice of trays?

thank you so much i would appriciate your help so soo so much.....

Rafael S
oil engineering student
university of manchester