Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Career Options For A Chemical Engineer - Further Study Or Job ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 amol0010

amol0010

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:10 AM

Hi,

I finished my BEgg in chemical engineering in 2006 with final year GPA of 4.0/4.0, however, I had pretty bad grades for the rest of the term, however, I did a masters in Applied Computing science from an excellent university in the UK.

My CGPA in the last two years of study is around 3.62/4.0 on the american scale.

My GRE score is 1350/1600.

I am wondering if I should go ahead with a second master in a joint degree in chemical engineering and computing, since I am pretty confused at the moment with my career, since I don't know if I am a chemical engineer or a computer programmer.

Are there any such degrees ?

Amol

#2 Root

Root

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:48 AM

Hi,
I can suggest you only, 1st go for practical and there you can better learn about you will be a chemical engineer or computing engineer.
Good luck

#3 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (amol0010 @ Dec 3 2008, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are there any such degrees?

amol,
I have never heard of such a degree. In undergraduate school, it is quite common to "major" in one field and "minor" in a second field. However, I have never heard of such a thing in graduate studies. Of course, you could get two degrees, which might be much less than two times the work of a single degree. The faculties of the two schools could work together to minimize the number of courses required and perhaps even select a thesis topic that would be acceptable for both programs. When you get out into "the real world", there are plenty of opportunities to combine your knowledge of both these fields. The most obvious (to me) would be in the area of process automation where chemical engineering and computer programming skills would both be valuable. Good luck.