Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Utilities Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 betty

betty

Gold Member

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:58 PM

could you complete this table?
Utility :

What's the risk of each utility and how do you prevent a hazardous situation for each utility?

Plant Air
Instrument Air
Nitrogen
Sea water(cooling water)
Service Water
Deminerlised water
Potable water
LP Steam and Condensate
High Pressure steam

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:59 PM

Betty,

Welcome to the forum. First of all, it is not clear what do you mean by terms "risk of each utility", and "hazardous situation" for each utility.

From the plant/personnel point of view, utility systems are considered to be completely harmless, and they are usually located within the "green zone" areas in the plant. If you look at fire/explosion and toxicity risk levels associated with utility systems, you'll find them to be essentially zero.

I hope you'll get more detailed answer from an experienced risk/safety engineer (e.g. Guido), and you should also put some more efforts from your side and clarify the question you've just posted.

#3 betty

betty

Gold Member

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:47 AM

yeah, I'll clarify. E.G., Plant air will contains some particles that are not filtered, so by this way may be will effect on the equipment after long time.

did you get what i want >>?

#4 betty

betty

Gold Member

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:34 AM

no reply!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:29 AM

Betty:

I would like to help you - but I can't identify what you really need. Do you need an explanation behind these utilities - or do you just need answers to turn in as a response to a class assignment?

You have failed to "clarify" why it is that if you can identify the risks behind the use of plant air, why is it that you can't also do the same logic and review of all the other subjects.

Obviously you did some original, specific thinking on the subject of plant air. You certainly can duplicate the effort for each of the other eight subjects you list. This exercise is not meant for OUR benefit. It is meant for YOUR benefit. However, there can be no benefit to you if you don't honestly put some personal, dedicated work effort into the assignment. That's the whole nature and logic of the assignment: to force you to use your own initiative and thinking in solving problems that will confront you in your future career as a professional engineer.

YOU are supposed to meditate, think, concentrate, or conjutate on the problem at hand and use your logic and knowledge to come up with what you can identify as potential hazards caused by the need or use of these utilities. If we dedicate our work effort to detailing the answers for you (which, I can assure you we can do in great detail), what will you really gain from our effort? You may get a good grade ---- but you certainly will not have learned anything from the process and will continue on to become an ineffective and useless engineer that probably won't be hirable .

I think, believe, and hope that you should do the mental and research work involved instead of relying on us to do it for you. Such is the life of an engineering student. You have to prove to others that you can think for yourself.

#6 betty

betty

Gold Member

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:39 PM

dear Mr: thankyou for your replaying>>>>(I would like to help you - but I can't identify what you really need. Do you need an explanation behind these utilities - or do you just need answers to turn in as a response to a class assignment?)

Believe me I'm uderstanding you and as you said >>I need an explanation behind these utilities
if you don't mind and I think this will be one my key to build my asnswers!!!

Thanks

#7 betty

betty

Gold Member

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:48 AM

Where is your helps !!?

Soorry!!

#8 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE (betty @ Dec 4 2008, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah, I'll clarify. E.G., Plant air will contains some particles that are not filtered, so by this way may be will effect on the equipment after long time.

No, betty, we did NOT get what is needed to supply you with a meaningful answer. That is what Mr. Montemayor has tried to tell you. You have a knowledgable, helpful audience "out there" that would be happy to assist you. BUT, you must assist us by formulating direct, succinct, meaningful questions that clearly indicate your needs and adequately supply all that the reader needs to develop a response. When you don't get a response, then either no one knows the answer (which is unlikely IF you have correctly identified your topic), or you have failed to meet the criteria stated above.

With your most general inquiry, all you can expect is a very general response. So, what are the hazards? Well, you might have high temperatures, high pressures, substances that could exclude oxygen, etc. That's about all I can say given the information you have provided.

Also, it is normally understood that hazardous = dangerous to humans. The above statement suggests that you are asking about possible erosive behavior to equipment. What is it?

#9 betty

betty

Gold Member

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (djack77494 @ Dec 8 2008, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (betty @ Dec 4 2008, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, betty, we did NOT get what is needed to supply you with a meaningful answer. That is what Mr. Montemayor has tried to tell you. You have a knowledgable, helpful audience "out there" that would be happy to assist you. BUT, you must assist us by formulating direct, succinct, meaningful questions that clearly indicate your needs and adequately supply all that the reader needs to develop a response. When you don't get a response, then either no one knows the answer (which is unlikely IF you have correctly identified your topic), or you have failed to meet the criteria stated above.

With your most general inquiry, all you can expect is a very general response. So, what are the hazards? Well, you might have high temperatures, high pressures, substances that could exclude oxygen, etc. That's about all I can say given the information you have provided.

Also, it is normally understood that hazardous = dangerous to humans. The above statement suggests that you are asking about possible erosive behavior to equipment. What is it?

Ok, thanks

#10 Qalander (Chem)

Qalander (Chem)

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 829 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:18 AM

QUOTE (betty @ Dec 8 2008, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where is your helps !!?

Soorry!!

Dear betty Hello/Good afternoon
I re-iterate a phrase referred by my deceased father(basically a teacher by profession)
Almost 'half of the answer is present in the question itself'

Your question(s) still remain vague and as such nobody can help.

Please do clarify what particular hazards,Risks associated with each of the querried utility you would like to control or eliminate

Everyone is ready to come forward with help;kindly do your part urgently.
Regards
Qalander

#11 astro

astro

Gold Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:55 PM

betty

Are you looking to be spoon fed answers here?

I agree with the other contributors that you need to help yourself, do some work and provide the forum with some specifics.

However, (and I'm taking a guess at what you're after) if you're trying to rank the hazard level associated with the various utilities that you've listed, then I would suggest that you help yourself by approaching it from a quantitative / engineering perspective.

How about you tabulate the various relevant properties that these fluids exhibit?

As mentioned previously, pressure and temperature are the 2 hazard parameters that readily come to mind. Then you could consider flammability and toxicity. You've mentioned contaminants already, so you could include that in your table.

Hopefully that gives you a start. The hard work is up to you.

wink.gif