Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

School Comparison Help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 airswingman

airswingman

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:53 AM

hi all:

I am an international student from japan, willing to ransfer to Gulfcost area to study as a BS chemical engineering major. I have two option
1. Louisiana State University Baton Rouge
2. University of Louisiana at Lafayette
I know these are general state university rolleyes.gif ,LSU is in a bigger city and ULL is a small town but has several oil company around. other than those i can not tell the differences between them. I plan to work in the US for a while and come back to Japan. So i don;t know if there is any differences will affect my job opporunity. Please give me some suggestion.

thanks

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:24 AM

Air:

I don't know if you have ever been in the USA before, but probably not. That is only important to have familiarity with the region and its cultural background as well as infrastructure.

Both Baton Rouge and Lafayette are graced with good, friendly people, excellent cuisine, good weather and find themselves relatively close to each other. Baton Rouge finds itself along the Mississippi River and Lafayette is close to what I consider salt grass country or Bayous - the coastal region of the Gulf of Mexico. If you are entering the USA with a student visa and don't have top political or economic connections here, I doubt you will be able to find or obtain a job while a student. Times are hard for employment and the thought of having foreigners come to USA to displace citizens from work doesn't sound appealing to the locals right now. I don't give you too much of a chance to get a "job" at a refinery or a process plant while under a student visa. I would expect the same situation exists in Japan.

If a proximity to a process plant or a refinery is important to you (which I don't understand), then Baton Rouge probably fits that bill better. However, with respect to a large and more elaborate ChE Department with more infrastructure and facilities, then LSU at Baton Rouge probably comes out on top. They definitely have a bigger faculty and facilities.

If you are coming here to obtain a university degree, then you couldn't have picked a better region in my opinion - ----- maybe except for Texas.

Good Luck.

#3 airswingman

airswingman

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:22 PM

Hi Art Montemayor:

Thank you so much for your quick response rolleyes.gif , it is really helpful. Seems LSU is overall better school.

Since iam a transfer student, UL Lafayette transfer the most credit for me however LSU's Curriculum seems exceptional, so they only transfer very few of my class( i am a junior student),maybe i will be freshmen student after i transfer to there sad.gif . I want to graduate soon though better school degree is very attractive to me. i am Self-contradictory.

So, here is my another question hope you could give me some advise : For my understanding,both school are ordinarily state school, maybe LSU is well-know . huh.gif So,as a BS engineering degree,Do employers look away from people from lesser known engineering universities? Or the well named school would also be able to get a better co-op job, or internship; even before graduation? Please help me out.

thanks

#4 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

No.

In my experience employers in the USA do not judge employment candidates on the so-called "merits" of the school attended or degreed from. It is not that easy. Employers are driven by the quick and positive results they can obtain from knowledgeable graduates who demonstrate good grades (good learning ability) and a positive, work ethic that demonstrates a willingness to continue learning and contributing to a common effort. That means that if a lazy, non-productive student graduates from the highest-rated university, he/she will probably not get a decent job offer.

Regardless of what you may wish or think, it is totally absurd and very stupid to make general judgments about the quality of a student based on the university he/she attended. I keep repeating: It is the graduated student who makes a university well-known or thought of by virtue of his/her achievements. It is not the university who automatically makes the graduate student an exceptional and accomplished engineer. I wish it was that simple and easy to make judgments - but that simply is not the case.

The university does not make an engineer out of you. It simply has no power to do so. YOU make an engineer out of YOURSELF. The university teaches you to LEARN how to become an engineer. And you start your learnings immediately after leaving the university.