Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Heat Exchanger Shell And Tube Cost

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 gilad

gilad

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:41 PM

I am looking for a book/journal that can help me estimate the cost of a shell and tube heat exchanger with an area of 8ft ^2 and made from stainless steel

I found a book that can give estimation for a heat exchanger made from stainless steel but with an area of at least 100 ft^2.
I also found a book that allows me to evaluate the cost for various areas but the material of construction is only carbon steel.

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:30 PM

No matter how hard you look, you will not find the specific information you are looking for in a book. For US$500 I can build an 8 Ft^2 Stainless Steel Tube exchanger. This is a "teenie weenie" sized exchanger and probably for a small laboratory. It is not an industrial size unit. Most practical engineers will build their own rather than waste time and effort looking for that size in the market place.

#3 Qalander (Chem)

Qalander (Chem)

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 829 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:05 PM

Dear,

Really affordable special prize,I must say from our experienced Art.
You shouldn't find it any better I assume

Regards
Qalander

#4 gilad

gilad

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (Art Montemayor @ Feb 4 2009, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No matter how hard you look, you will not find the specific information you are looking for in a book. For US$500 I can build an 8 Ft^2 Stainless Steel Tube exchanger. This is a "teenie weenie" sized exchanger and probably for a small laboratory. It is not an industrial size unit. Most practical engineers will build their own rather than waste time and effort looking for that size in the market place.

Thanks for the fast reply. I was thinking the same, because of the small size it will be impossible to find data. However, my professor insist on us doing the calculations. In my opinion, even if found the data the price would be far from being even 50% close to the real value because a lot of variable are not taken into consideration in most of the published data.
On another issue, this heat exchanger is suppose to heat a mixture of formic acid, water and methyl oleate would you think stainless steel will be a good choice for construction material because of corrosive nature of formic acid.

BTW maybe you can build one for our research lab, I am sure we can find 500$ in the budget rolleyes.gif

#5 riven

riven

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:48 AM

For such a small area I would build a simple double pipe heat exchanger. A shell and tube is hardly required.

Alfa laval of the top of my head do small plate (doubt shell and tube) exchangers as do GE but cost would be EUR1500. More fun and cheaper to build it yourself.

#6 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

Check this link, and if you have any up-to-date information (reference projects or vendor proposals), you can try to apply the appropriate scaling factor:

http://matche.com/Eq...t/Exchanger.htm

It's very difficult to obtain correct price(s), even in the case you have vendor proposals on your table. The market is highly volatile, and the price you get today can be very much different after just a few weeks or months. Believe me, I had that experience few times already. Do a search within the forum, there is one excellent reply from Art on this topic which I had started - probably for the same reasons you have now.

Good luck,