Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Distillation Column Material Selection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 justine04

justine04

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:55 AM

hello,

Does anyone know which materials are best to use for the construction of distillation columns for the production of tetrahydrothiophene?

Also in regards to storage of tetrahydrothiophene, what materials are most appropriate to be used so that any corrosive affects would be to its minimum?

THANKS!

#2 riven

riven

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:50 AM

QUOTE (justine04 @ Mar 30 2009, 07:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hello,

Does anyone know which materials are best to use for the construction of distillation columns for the production of tetrahydrothiophene?

Also in regards to storage of tetrahydrothiophene, what materials are most appropriate to be used so that any corrosive affects would be to its minimum?

THANKS!

For this distillation query more information is required: What else is in the column and to what concentrations? The temperature and pressure is also required? Also do you require advice requiring plate and packing?

For the storage the compound is not corrosive and would be stored at room temperature feasibly. SS should be fine 304/316. I would like to see if carbon steel is good as well but I do not have more information on this compound so that is as far as I can go.

#3 justine04

justine04

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:37 AM

I have attached the process of production.

Could you please also tell me what would be the appropriate type of storage for tetrahydrothiophene? Is a normal stainless steel tank good enough in this case or are cylinders better?

Because there'd still be traces of caustic soda and H2S entering the distillation column, what do you think should be the material? I've considered Nickel 200 and maybe also SS317. Not really sure if there are others that I should think about.

Thanks so much for helping smile.gif

Attached Files