Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Waste Heat Boiler Design

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Martinus

Martinus

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:41 PM

Me and my friends are a final year chemical engineering. we have a final year project about the design of powder detergent manufacture. we need to design waste heat boiler for SO2 gases which leave sulfur furnace at 650oC and 1 atm and then enter the waste heat boiler. the gases leave w.h.b at 440oC at 1 atm.
the gases leaving sulfur furnace mainly SO2, O2,N2,H20. the flow rate of the gas is 994,98 kg/h.

we were wondering if you can give me ideas how can we tackle the design of the w.h.b.

What are the basic stages in design and what books or journals do we need to read.

Well all suggestions are welcome as this is my first design and we will appreciate any help from people with experience in this field

Thanks

#2 chau

chau

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:05 AM

Probly what you have to do is just find out the heat duty available. Then by doing the energy and mass balance you will arrice to the water rquirement . To carry out this calculatipn you need to give nmore focus about the gas property bcaz as you enlightened its a furnace gas which consist of lot of component.Getting the mater requirement , choose the type of heat x required , this is again need to have concrete and wide foocus towards the gas analysis , as wrongly selected the heat x may result of unexpected volatility like fouling and thus devasting the system. This will give the benchmark for furthur calc of geometrical dimensions of shell and tube