Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

What Is Saturation?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ktrone

ktrone

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

Then
What is the difference between Saturated air,Saturated liquid ,Saturated vapour?

#2 Guest_ellajid_*

Guest_ellajid_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:17 PM

As far as i know,

Saturated air: Is air that's had it's fill of water vapour. Meaning that any increase in the amount of water vapour in saturated air leads to the formation of dew.

Saturated Liquid: Is a liquid that has had it's fill of a solute in a solute/solvent mixture. Any addtion of solute will lead to it precipitating in the vessel containing the mixture.

Saturated Vapour: Is a term used to describe vapour that has been heated to the extent that it loses any moisture content. Any addtional heating will make the vapour cross into the super heated region in a T-S diagram. Any cooling of saturated vapour will lead to the formation of moisture in the liquid (wet vapour region in a T-S Diagram).

#3 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:45 PM

I like the definitions submitted by ellajid. To reword, saturated xxx refers to a condition where xxx is the predominant phase or substance but which is right at the point where a change in temperature or pressure will result in the appearance of a second phase. You won't find that definition in a dictionary, but it makes sense to me.