Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Absorption

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 petroleum09

petroleum09

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:07 PM

Dear All

am carrying out a research on wether high superficial gas velocity will cause attrition on absorbent particles used in removing hydrogen sulphide from natural gas,
please i need to know how to calculate the superficial gas velocity, and also the experimental method to use.

Thanks
petroleum09

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:22 AM

Superficial gas velocity is easily calculated when actual volume flow of gas and cross-sectional area of the vessel are known. It isn't more complicated than that.

As far as adsorbent attrition/erosion is concerned, that will vary with:

- Adsorbent shape
- Adsorbent size
- Adsorbent crush strength
- Actual gas flow
- Design & Operating conditions, such are: weight of the bed, pressure drop across the bed, and presence of liquids in the feed stream

For normal/expected range of operating conditions, you'll never see any adsorbent being crushed/dusted because of the factors mentioned above. It's something that one can expect at really extreme conditions. Just follow the basic guideline of providing at least 0.01 PSI/ft pressure drop during adsoption/regeneration, to ensure good gas distribution, size the bed for 8-12 PSI pressure drop at the end of adsorbent life, and add 15 PSI on calculated design strength of bottom support screen - and I can promise you'll never have any problems with that plant.

P.S. And the process should actually be called adsorption.

#3 petroleum09

petroleum09

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:28 PM

Thank you very much Zauberberg,

with this information i can be able to determine the superficial gas velocity.
but what i need to know is the apparatus needed for gas purification.
The project topic given to me reads Absorption not adsorption

#4 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

Absorption is process when acid gas is captured by liquid solution (e.g. amines, formulated solvents, or physical solvents) while adsorption refers to reaction that takes place on solid surface.

There is a lot of information regarding adsorption process available on internet, Google will lead you to hundreds of articles. Here is a good place to start:

Molecular Sieve Applications

#5 petroleum09

petroleum09

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:49 PM

Thank you very much Zauberberg for the link

i think i have more useful information to give now.
the absorbent to be used for this process is ZnO (zinc oxide) this will react with the H2S(hydrogen sulphide) to give zinc sulphide.
what i want to achieve is to investigate the effect of High superficial gas velocity on the Zinc Oxide particles ( if there will be attrition at high gas velocity)

QUOTE (Zauberberg @ Jun 29 2009, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Absorption is process when acid gas is captured by liquid solution (e.g. amines, formulated solvents, or physical solvents) while adsorption refers to reaction that takes place on solid surface.

There is a lot of information regarding adsorption process available on internet, Google will lead you to hundreds of articles. Here is a good place to start:

Molecular Sieve Applications