Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Switching My Major Into Chem.e From Just Chemistry?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 necrobutcer

necrobutcer

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:01 AM

Hi,
I'm a chemistry major right now, and I'm going into my junior year. This upcoming academic year, I'll be taking Physical chemistry 1-2, Physics 1-2, a semester of biochem, Diff. Eq.(because I'm math minor), and two other humanities courses. I'm very excited!

The thing is, I'm kind of interested in doing chemical engineering and losing interest in just pure chemistry. People tell me you have to go for Ph.D and do research (of which I have no experience) to get a decent pay. Chemical engineering looks much more intriguing to me, and the fact that lots of math is involved in it a huge plus for me, not to mention higher pay and better job scope.

My college doesn't have an engineering school. Is it possible for me to transfer to another college, even if it's a bit late, to pursue my real passion? I'm aware that if I do, I'll have to take a bunch of engineering classes to catch up.
Also, I heard many people with B.S in chem pursue advanced degree in Chem.E. Should I take this route? What can you do with Masters in Chem.E. as opposed to with just B.S in Chem.E? Right now I kinda want to just get a job after college rather than go to grad school.

Please I need help and guidance! Thanks in advance.

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:47 AM

Necro:

Since you have failed to fill in all of your personal background in our Forum Profile, I am going to assume you are located in the USA and are a USA citizen who wants to remain in the USA. Students continually make the mistake of assuming that everyone around them knows exactly what is in their mind and what is their purpose. Nothing could be further from the truth. In order to counsel or comment on your request(s), we all need as much background and personal information as we can receive. Otherwise, we are merely guessing at what you mean and need.

For example, besides knowing that a starting ChE graduate makes more salary than a 10-year Chemistry graduate, what else do you know about the career and/or scope of a Chemical Engineering career in the USA? As a basis for discussion and decision-making, I will cite what is the basic, generic definition of a Chemical Engineer (as it is of ALL engineers): a Chemical Engineer is a problem solver. The problems he/she solves don’t necessarily have to do only with Chemistry or anything associated with that branch of science. Many problems we ChEs often confront involve: economics, investiment decisions, communications, project organization, human relations, basic equipment design, process heat and mass balances, heat transfer, energy conversion (thermodynamics applications), fluid mechanics, sales generation and applications, ecological projects, nuclear projects, hydrocarbon projects, energy generation and transmission, project engineering in specifications, evaluations, and purchasing, project management and leadership roles, field construction projects, process plant operations, engineering, and management. This listing could continue on for several more paragraphs, but I will end it here for practical reasons and because I think you have a general idea now. Note that I have placed the part of communications early in the listing. If a Chemical Engineer is to assume leadership roles in his career (which is the norm, rather than the exception), then he/she must have command of not only language skills, but also the ability to write and speak in clear, accurate, and concise terms when dealing with his/her team or colleagues. An ability to understand and work hand-in-hand with other colleagues –whether they be underlings or superiors, whether they be clerical or business-oriented rather than engineers, whether they be Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, or Chemical in specialty engineering background – is of prime importance and requires an intimate understanding of human nature and diversities. A Liberal Arts and humanities studies background is a powerful tool that can greatly help to resolve problems – especially when dealing with other human beings. I, for example, obtained a double-degree: a BS in ChE and another in English. I have probably resolved more engineering problems and obstacles in my career using my English skills than my pure engineering skills – especially when I was a project manager.

As a pure Chemistry major, you will probably never be confronted with solving everyday problems - except if you obtain a PhD and get an opportunity to participate in practical, industrial-oriented research projects. Otherwise, as a BS, you will probably either work in a laboratory operation or teach Chemistry in some high school. You could also maybe get into chemical sales or promotions. Don't get me wrong; I love my chemistry and my ability to use it in my projects. But as a pure science Chemistry major, I would not have that opportunity. That is why I chose ChE as my prime major.

Now to get to your basic dilemma. I frankly believe you should have no problem switching to a Chemical Engineering major in another university (assuming you have the proper and acceptable grades and are prepared to confront a much more aggressive and tougher curriculum than the pure scientific chemistry one that you presently have). From what you have described as your coming course schedule, I believe you will only be carrying around 14 to 16 semester hours. This, I consider a very light and easy load – from an engineering curriculum point of view. All the courses you have described (including the humanities) are, in my opinion, what you should be taking in an engineering curriculum. So, you really are not losing any investment you have made to date if you change to a ChE major. However, you will have to make up for the relatively light load you have probably been carrying as a pure Chemistry major. This, you could do in summer classes. As a Sophomore, you should have already taken at least two engineering orientation courses and as Junior you should be taking Unit Operations and Unit Processes with probably a Thermodynamics course, integral Calculus, and a Process Controls course. In my estimation you should be taking a total of about 18 to 21 hours per semester during your Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior years. Your Senior year should drop down to around 17 to 18. And most of these courses will involve A LOT OF HOMEWORK and laboratory reports (just like in P-Chem). My guess would be that you would have to transfer after this Fall and expect to go to two summer school sessions and carry a full ChE load starting next January. You can do it, but you must be willing to pay the tradeoff price: hard, dedicated, and continuous work.

I hope these comments aid you in a decision. Good Luck.

#3 necrobutcer

necrobutcer

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:57 PM

Thanks for the reply Art Montenmayor, that was very helpful!

Well, I'm a permanent resident right now and English is my second language. I guess this may be an issue because that probably means I might lack communication skills.

#4 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:25 PM

Necro:

No. I think you are wrong in interpreting what I stated. Knowing a language is important. But KNOWING HOW TO EMPLOY IT is even more important. THAT is communicating skills.

There are literally millions of USA citizens who know the English language very well - but unfortunately are terrible communicators! When you study a language (like English), you don't study merely how to speak and write it. You should be studying how to be effective and efficient in its employment. That is good communications. That is the real purpose of studying any language.

So, don't despair. You probably have a better than average chance to excel at being a good communicator - and leader