Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Industrial Waste Water Treatment

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_Tshepang_*

Guest_Tshepang_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:27 PM

I am a registered student with the University of South Africa.

I need assistance with an Industrial Waste Water Treatment project. I would be grateful for any assistance at all (it could links to websites or literature or links to ebooks).

Below is the problem statement:

Your project assignment is to identify any industry of your choice and fully research on their waste water treatment process.

The title of the project is:

Industrial Waste Water Treatment

Your report should include the following:

• A brief background of waste water treatment methods.
  • An introduction of the research topic and an outline of how your report will be structured
  • Specific aims and objectives of your research
  • Detailed process description of the case study waste water treatment plant.
  • A quantitative and qualitative assessment of the deleterious or obnoxious components in the untreated waste water.
  • A comparison of the concentrations of the above mentioned components in treated effluent, with local municipal limits.
  • Possible hazards to the environment that can arise due to inefficient or lack of waste water treatment.
  • A comment on the quality assurance of treated waste water

Total Marks: 100

#2 suwan

suwan

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:56 AM

nice post dude...it's really great...

simulation de credit
rachat simulateur
- vous n’avez à aller très
loin pour une simulation de rachat de crédit

#3 jmatrix

jmatrix

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

I recommend MetCalf and Eddy: Wastewater Engineering Treatment and Reuse. It's a book that focuses on waste water treatment (not solely on industrial waste water but domestic sources as well). It is however a book on design of waste water treatment plants but it should provide you with some good material that you can use.

#4 Guest_Tshepang_*

Guest_Tshepang_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (jmatrix @ Jul 31 2009, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I recommend MetCalf and Eddy: Wastewater Engineering Treatment and Reuse. It's a book that focuses on waste water treatment (not solely on industrial waste water but domestic sources as well). It is however a book on design of waste water treatment plants but it should provide you with some good material that you can use.

Thank you. I have found many encouraging reviews on the publication. It will soon have a place on my bookshelf.

#5 Guest_Tshepang_*

Guest_Tshepang_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:49 PM

What would be the most effective method of requesting data on this subject from relevant corporations?

I have noticed in the past that some corporations are more willing to assist students than others.

#6 jmatrix

jmatrix

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (Tshepang @ Aug 2 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What would be the most effective method of requesting data on this subject from relevant corporations?

I have noticed in the past that some corporations are more willing to assist students than others.

I do know that provincial governments and the relevant ministry (usually environment); you can request standards and guidelines on waste water treatment. I am unsure if you can request plant data or anything of that sort from industries, I might be wrong however.

#7 Guest_Tshepang_*

Guest_Tshepang_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (jmatrix @ Aug 2 2009, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do know that provincial governments and the relevant ministry (usually environment); you can request standards and guidelines on waste water treatment. I am unsure if you can request plant data or anything of that sort from industries, I might be wrong however.

Thank you. I have just found two documents in the Department of Water and Environmental Affairs website.

I am currently experiencing difficulties downloading them, but I will post the links here as soon as I determine that the links are functional.

#8 Guest_Tshepang_*

Guest_Tshepang_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (jmatrix @ Aug 2 2009, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found these documents two documents in the Department of Water and Environmental Affairs website. The links were functional when I used them, however, should anybody experience difficulties downloading them, then please inform me and I will upload them to a file sharing website.

Below are the links:

1. Water Treatment - Best Practice Guidelines for Water Resource Protection in the South African Mining Industry (2.11MB)
http://www.dwaf.gov.za/Documents/Other/WQM/BPG_H4TreatmentSep07.pdf

2. Guidelines for the Inspection of Wastewater Treatment Works (21.91MB)
http://www.dwaf.gov.za/Dir_WQM/docs/TT375MunicipalWastewaterManagementWeb.pdf

#9 Guest_Tshepang_*

Guest_Tshepang_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:02 PM

In retrospect, my initial request should have included more information. I seek assistance in successfully completing an Industrial Waste Water Treatment Project. For some reason, even libraries do not have publications that contain the specific information that I require. Most of the data that I have collected in the past two months deals with municipal waste water treatment. Again, any assistance in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

The list below outlines areas of focus for this small project:

• Mining (Coal, Ores, Diamonds, Platinum)
  • Petroleum Processing
  • Heavy Chemicals
  • Agrochemicals
  • Rubber Industries
  • Iron and Steel
  • Paper and Pulp
  • Polymers

#10 riven

riven

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:50 AM

The likelyhood of find specific books relating to waste water treatment for those operations is unlikely. One of the reasons why I refused to get MetCalf and Eddy was due to the sheer amount of crap contained within and the relatively small app;ication area.

Your two best bets are

1. Use your head. Try an narrow down your options. There are too many. But many will contain some sort of solid removal (filtration).
Also look at the standards in your area and consider what application will remove to those levels. For example many organics are removed by digestion (aerobic/anerobic) with some other pre or post treatment. However others (e.g. toluene) are difficult to do in this mode and may need to be recovered/incinerated rather than disposed of.
2. Look for books that deal with the areas. For example look for a mining book etc. If it is a good book or a book that is not focusing on a small area this will contain the information you need.

#11 Guest_Tshepang_*

Guest_Tshepang_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:18 PM

1. Use your head. Try an narrow down your options. There are too many. But many will contain some sort of solid removal (filtration).
Also look at the standards in your area and consider what application will remove to those levels. For example many organics are removed by digestion (aerobic/anerobic) with some other pre or post treatment. However others (e.g. toluene) are difficult to do in this mode and may need to be recovered/incinerated rather than disposed of.

Thank you. Perhaps more emphasis ought to be afforded to "critical problem solving skills" during an engineering student's training.

Again, thank you. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.