Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Compression Volume Of A Gas Phase To The Liquid Phase

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 coelhothiago

coelhothiago

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:17 AM

To complete the mass balance I've to know a correlation that tells me which is the liquid volume of a certain gas volume of LGN(C3+) at an certain pressure and temperature. Like, 800 m3 of gas (C3+) will be ??? m3 of it liquefied at 30°C (86°F,303 K ), 100 psi (6 bar, 7kg/cm2, 069MPa) ? The compression volume? Researching at the Internet I've found that the correlation 600:1 of LGN(C3+), but this at normal conditions. Can I apply this correlation to my conditions or I'll have to do the analysis by real gas equations with compressibility factor?

Gas volume (800 m3) -----(refrigeration)-------> liquid volume (??? m3)

greetings
Email me

#2 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:50 PM

I think you would need the gas density at T1 and P1 via PV = znRT or an equation of state. Calculate the mass = volume x density. Obtain the liquid density at 30o C and 100 psig. Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook has sat'd properties of propane (and butane, if needed). Calculate the liquid volume = mass / density. I think the 600:1 ratio is a "rule of thumb" for LNG. If you need more accurate, best to use more rigorous techniques as described.

#3 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:17 AM

Please understand that 600:1 means 600 (gas volume at the standard conditions): 1 (liquid volume process conditions). Here, the assumption is liquid volume does not vary with temperature and pressure. Not true but close enough.

Therefore, Gas Volume at process conditions: (800m3) -------Gas Volume at standard conditions: 800*(273/303)*(690/100) =4973.5 m3 ----------Liquid Volume:4973.5/600=8.3m3.