Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Heat Transfer Coeficient For Condensation Of Steam

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 WEEWA

WEEWA

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:24 AM

Dear sir
I read a book of process heat transfer from Donald Q.KEN.I found this example in book about calculation shell and tube heat exchanger
I dont understand about hio condensation of steam almost use 1500 btu/(hr)(ft2)(F) for vary temperature of steam.Is it rule of trumb for calculation of condensation of steam? if i calculation for Uc for heat exchanger i can us this?
Thank you verymuch
weewa

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.pdf   50.68KB   63 downloads

#2 S.AHMAD

S.AHMAD

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 786 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:50 PM

Dear sir
I read a book of process heat transfer from Donald Q.KEN.I found this example in book about calculation shell and tube heat exchanger
I dont understand about hio condensation of steam almost use 1500 btu/(hr)(ft2)(F) for vary temperature of steam.Is it rule of trumb for calculation of condensation of steam? if i calculation for Uc for heat exchanger i can us this?
Thank you verymuch
weewa

Dear WEEWA
What important for designing a shell & tube exchanger is the overall heat transfer coefficient.In most cases, the individual film heat transfer coefficient on the steam condensation is relatively high as compared to that of the other stream. The steam condensation coefficient , in another words, is not the controlling heat transfer coefficient. Therefore it introduces little error. The number given is the conservative figure whereby in actual case the value is higher than that.

So u can use the number for your design case especially if the steam is on the tube side. I've observed the actual operation of this kind and no doubt it works.

Best regards

S. Ahmad