Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pipe Design?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 maud

maud

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:38 AM

good day,
I want to know what important aspects should one consider when selecting a pipe?
A 150mm steel pipe, schedule 80 must be installed, it will be connected with a T-piece from an existing pipeline, anD some portion of it will be underground, and appear to the surface where it will be filling a sump with water.

I must add all other necessities, like valves, flanges etc. the only infomation I have is that it must be a 150mm steel pipe, schedule 80.

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:43 AM

Maud:

What you've given isn't enough information. Even the description of the installation is not clear. A sketch would be a great improvement in aiding to explain what you propose to do. Allow me to point out the important aspects that are missing:

1) If you are flowing water, what type is it - potable, cooling, or waste?
2) What are the conditions of the water in the underground (U/G) pipeline - pressure & temperature?
3) What is setting the requirements for the schedule 80 pipe riser? This is relatively big pipe and the pipe wall will be a significant weight adder and cost. If your U/G pressure is no more than 100 psig, you might use a plastic pipe instead.
4) Are you concerned with corrosion from the surrounding soil?

Await your reply.

#3 maud

maud

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:05 AM

Maud:

What you've given isn't enough information. Even the description of the installation is not clear. A sketch would be a great improvement in aiding to explain what you propose to do. Allow me to point out the important aspects that are missing:

1) If you are flowing water, what type is it - potable, cooling, or waste?
2) What are the conditions of the water in the underground (U/G) pipeline - pressure & temperature?
3) What is setting the requirements for the schedule 80 pipe riser? This is relatively big pipe and the pipe wall will be a significant weight adder and cost. If your U/G pressure is no more than 100 psig, you might use a plastic pipe instead.
4) Are you concerned with corrosion from the surrounding soil?

Await your reply.

1. Blow down water will be flowing in this pipe (blow down water from another system/ plant)
2. Temperature and Pressure (unknown)
3. The reason for a schedule 80, is because the area where the pipe will be (underground), big heavy vehicles use that road (it’s not a tarred road, its gravel) And they sump needs another supply of water it constantly runs empty , that’s the reason for the new installation.
4. corrosion, yes, I don’t want the pipe getting holes, I was instructed to use a steel pipe, so I have not considered a plastic pipe.

Attached Files