Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Hysys 3.2 Vs Chemcad Vs Simsci Pro Ii

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 coelhothiago

coelhothiago

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:29 AM

I need to learn how to use simulation software within 1 month (full time) to do my final college project about gas processing, specifically a Dew Point Plant - DDP. The project subject is to simulate a chiller to refill the propane refrigeration system. I'll have to simulate a Stabilization Tower with a Reboiler, a Compressor (already in process), an extra Chiller to recuperate propane and a Biphasic Separator. I just want to do some few simple analyses like: basically mass balance. Possibly energy balance and economics as secondary objectives.

I found out 3 most common software’s.: HYSYS 3.2 vs CHEMCAD vs SimSci PRO II.

I found on the net the following training material available:
HYSYS 3.2 : a lot of manuals and examples.
CHEMCAD: few manuals and examples.
SimSci PRO II: 1 manual and no examples.

I would like to know under my situation (1 month and gas processing) what would be the easier/quicker to learn, use, simulate.....

Do you have some experience on the software’s mentioned? Any suggestion?

Thiago Coelho de Souza
Email me

#2 tapebusuk

tapebusuk

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:09 PM

I need to learn how to use simulation software within 1 month (full time) to do my final college project about gas processing, specifically a Dew Point Plant - DDP. The project subject is to simulate a chiller to refill the propane refrigeration system. I'll have to simulate a Stabilization Tower with a Reboiler, a Compressor (already in process), an extra Chiller to recuperate propane and a Biphasic Separator. I just want to do some few simple analyses like: basically mass balance. Possibly energy balance and economics as secondary objectives.

I would like to know under my situation (1 month and gas processing) what would be the easier/quicker to learn, use, simulate.....

Thiago Coelho de Souza
Email me

FYI, for simsci pro II actually there are some examples given in the program installation,,
by default you can find it under the directory C:\SIMSCI\Proii80\User\Applib,,
the examples are quite good for learning material,,

and you can also read the manuals under the directory : C:\SIMSCI\Proii80\Manual

but IMHO hysys is more user friendly and more easier to operate than pro II, (i have never use chemcad, so i dont know the comparison to chemcad)
CMIIW...

#3 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:50 AM

Dear,
I will suggest you to use Hysys. As it takes normally less time to understand at least I found it user-friendly. As I worked on all these three simulators. Hysys will be good choice to start your Dew Point Depression Project. While doing simulations if you find any problem or need any help please let us know. All the best.

#4 milenkom

milenkom

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:56 PM

Thiago Coelho de Souza
Email me

I would definitly go either with Aspen Plus or Hysys since they are top Notch. Chemcad is good as well but it has no distinct advantage over Hysys and Aspen.

#5 wojtar

wojtar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:12 PM

IMHO ASPEN, PROII, Chemcad ...all can do ...but I would avoid PRO II for a newby -> it's rather user unfriendly -> you don't see simulation results imediatelly - must generate reports ...on the other hand some people say it's the best. How you can afford so many licences? In my case I had no choice. The company I work for just bought Chemcad and I must use it...we had for a short time trial license for PRO II... I asked those people from INVENSYS what are the advantages of PROII vs CHEMCAD but they couldn't answer...

Edited by wojtar, 13 March 2010 - 12:16 PM.