Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Which Course Should I Take, Computer Science I Or Some History Class?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 necrobutcer

necrobutcer

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:49 PM

I'm a junior who goes to a liberal arts school, and my major is chemistry. After my 2 years of college experience and mulling over my aptitudes and career opportunities for a long time, I figured I should change my major to chemical engineering. However, my school does not have an engineering school, so I'll have to transfer to follow my goal. I'm planning to transfer after finishing fall semester. My overall GPA isn't that good (3.0), so I won't be applying to top-tier schools.

The notable classes I've already taken are: gen chem w/ labs, o-chem w/ labs, analytical chem, inorganic chem, freshmen calc I and II, multivariable calc, and linear algebra. By the end of this semester I will be finishing Physics 1, P-chem 1 (thermodynamics), Differential equations, Biochemistry (designed for chem majors, spans only 1 semester).

I still have to choose a 5th class, and I'm torn between Computer Science I, of which course description merely says "No prerequisite required. This course is an introduction to the art and science of computer programming and to some of the fundamental concepts of computer science. Students will write programs in the Java programming language. Good program design methodology will be stressed throughout. There will also be a study of some of the basic notions of computer science, including computer systems organization, files, and some algorithms of fundamental importance," and a history class called Europe and the Modern World I. Honestly, I don't think I can transfer the credit from neither of the classes. Will CS I be more useful?