Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Need Advice On Urgent Bases

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Root

Root

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:59 PM

Hi Als,
I would like to seek your advice on following issue, one of my friend approach to a professor for his proposal for Distillation column trouble shooting.
He wrote a very good proposal and Professor asked him in which frame work he like to do his research.
Can any one of you put some light and suggest for him, which frame professor asking from him. be remember my friend is not student, he is working in refinery with me.
Thanks
Toor

#2 joerd

joerd

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:24 AM

Great question, and wonderfully vague.
Does the professor refer to the "educational framework", i.e. who runs the project, how is it funded, etc.
Or does he/she refer to the technical basis and execution, i.e. are there specific cases that will be researched, is it more experimental, or more theoretical in nature, will your friend use simulation software, and if so, which one?

The best thing your friend can do is to ask the professor to clarify the question.

#3 Root

Root

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 293 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:24 PM

Great question, and wonderfully vague.
Does the professor refer to the "educational framework", i.e. who runs the project, how is it funded, etc.
Or does he/she refer to the technical basis and execution, i.e. are there specific cases that will be researched, is it more experimental, or more theoretical in nature, will your friend use simulation software, and if so, which one?

The best thing your friend can do is to ask the professor to clarify the question.

Dear Joerd,

My friend like to do research in distillation, and he is having the approach to use PROII and Aspen Tech, More over this is more to practical problem instead of theoritical approach.
He has contacted with Cranfield University professor. if you suggest some study frame work may be from him easy to write good proposal to professor.
Thanks
Toor

#4 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:12 AM

Dear,
There is always a good scope an operational engineer to roll around with any unit operation/unit process and not just distillation. Unless the objective of the study of friend is not clear I think it will be just stupid suggestion to your friend. So let us know the scope and what he/she wants to study with that distillation system. Currently facing issues with that system aren't the motive for to study this system or energy integration or revamping the existing system for new case. Please come with some specific objective so it would be easy for us to comment.