Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Temperature Approach

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_John_*

Guest_John_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 09 January 2005 - 01:21 PM

Hi

I am sizing a Shell and Tube cross exchanger, and I was told to make sure the temperatuare approach is very small. Would you please give me some education on Temperature Approach? What are the advantages/disadvantages to have very close temperature approach?

Thank you very much in advance

John

#2 Guest_Guest_chrispap_*

Guest_Guest_chrispap_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:16 PM

This question lies in the area of pinch analysis; In general, the larger the DTmin value is, the higher your utility requirements are going to be, however your hx will have a smaller area. Selecting a low DTmin aims to minimise utility requirements at the expense of a higher capital cost hx. Economics come into play (operating / capital etc) when chosing your DTmin.

#3 David Southall

David Southall

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:18 PM

It's a question of economics. Remember the basic heat transfer equation:

q = UAdT

Rearrange this to:

q/dT = UA

and you can see that as the temperature diffence tends towards zero, the area required tends towards infinity.

In practice, what this means is that a large temperature difference will give you a smaller capital cost (i.e. a smaller heat exchanger), but higher running costs due to the utilities required.

On the other hand, a very tight temperature difference will reduce your operating costs, but will result in a much higher capital cost.

For something like a plate-fin unit, you can feasibly design down to 1 - 2 degC temperature difference. For a shell and tube though, a good place to start would maybe be 10 - 30 degC.

The only way to know for sure is to design for a number of cases (i.e. various dT's and corresponding utility requirements), then compare the cost impacts with your project's requirements.

#4 missbk

missbk

Brand New Member

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:19 AM

I am figuring out about this, too. I found that the minimum temperature approach is a parameter of the temperature difference between the lowest temperature of the hot fluid and the highest temperature of the cold fluid.
For example, you draw the diagram of heat movement and you'll see the minimum distance between the two line is the minimum temperature approach.
Of course, the closer the cold fluid approachs to the hot, your heat tranfer area must be the larger.
As a rules of thumbs, for 1 pass shell side and 1 pass tube side, this parameter should be chosen at 10 degree F. The above guideline is useful for this assumption.
I have to find out this because when I sizing a HE by Hysys, if there is just 2 fluid flows of four are known, I must have some parameter of the HE spec, then that's the Hot side approach, or the temperature approach.