Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Api 2000 6Th Edition Error? In Table A.2

api 2000 table a.2 iso 28300:2008 error normal venting requirements

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 zyllaron

zyllaron

Brand New Member

• Store Customers
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:11 PM

I've been using API 2000 fifth edition until now and this morning we purchased the sixth edition. Immediately I saw what appears to me to be an error in Table A.2 Normal venting requirements.

The table heading states "SCFH of air per CFH of liquid flow" whereas the values in the table represent "SCFH of air per Barrel per Hour of liquid flow". This error would lead one to oversize blanket gas make-up as much as six-fold. I'm second guessing myself on this one since I could not find any comments about this on this or other sites. I followed the forum regarding the increase in thermal venting requirements. Does anyone else interpret this as an error? If so is there an official correction? I haven't heard back from API yet but I've received "no comment" from them on other issues in the past. I'll try to let the forum know if I get good direction from API.

This is my first time contributing to any forum so feel free to advise me where to find instructions on proper protocol on the forum.

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:14 AM

zyllaron,

I did take a look at ISO 28300 First Ed. (as identical of API 2000 6th Ed.) and did observe such an error. The error is keeping SI units for dimentions while table headings states the units is in USC. Also the values in the table are not logical either with SI or with USC units, and seems as you mentioned, are based on "SCFH of air per Barrel per Hour of liquid flow". Would you please compare A.2 table in both standards and inform us of the result.

Fallah

Edited by fallah, 06 October 2011 - 01:49 AM.

#3 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:18 AM

Fallah/Zyllaron,

I did a quick conversion calculation for the inbreathing (same is applicable for outbreathing) considering that the SI units of Nm3/h of air per m3/h of of liquid flow out are correct as given in Table A.1 and yes the values given in Table A.2 should have the units of SCFH of air per barrel/h of liquid flow out and not SCFH of air per CFH of liquid flow out.

The calculation is attached as an excel file.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ankur.

Attached Files

Edited by ankur2061, 06 October 2011 - 04:19 AM.

#4 proinwv

proinwv

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:09 AM

I agree that Table A.2 is incorrect. Referring to table 1.A in the 5th Ed. confirms that also. (One barrel=42 gal=5.6 cu.ft.). Since this table was taken from 5th edition, it is really unfortunate that this error occurred.

I have not made calculations using these Alternative (Informative) equations, I am pleased to say. But I hope that this has not caused a problem for others.

Zyllaron, we all thank you for your realizing this and passing it on to us. Please post any reply that you may have from API.

#5 zyllaron

zyllaron

Brand New Member

• Store Customers
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:26 PM

Hi All,

API responded today to my Oct 5th query letting me know where on their website the errata for the 5th edition is located and that they are "about to post the DIS for ISO 28300 (the ISO version of API 2000)."

I replied reiterating that I would like to know if API is aware that Table A.2 in the 6th edition is in error. I don't know for what "DIS" (DIScussion?) is an abbreviation so I also asked to what that refers.

I'll try to keep this thread posted of any further correspondence with API. Thanks to each one that reviewed Table A.2.

Regards,
Ron

#6 proinwv

proinwv

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 391 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:29 PM

Ron, we all appreciate your efforts here, and look forward to your next post.

Thanks

Paul

#7 zyllaron

zyllaron

Brand New Member

• Store Customers
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

Hi All,

The Senior Associate, Standards, API did email me Oct 12 but apparently he had missed my description of the error and only directed me to old Errata, November 1999.

I replied being more explicit in asking if the error in Table A.2 had been acknowledged.

He responded today, Nov 1st, "I’ll pass your question on table A.2 to the committee chair for API 2000 / ISO 28300."

I believe that means it will be addressed properly.

He also was kind enough to explain what DIS means since I had also asked him about that: "draft International Standard (DIS) and final draft International Standard (FDIS)"

I'm not clear as to when or if errata will be published for 6th Edition - I'll reply to his email and ask but I might not post for a few days because work is knocking.

#8 zyllaron

zyllaron

Brand New Member

• Store Customers
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

Hi All,

On Nov 17, 2011 I received a corrected version of Table A.1 & A.2 from Stephen Crimaudo at API. I thought I would copy and past to this post but that doesn't work - can someone tell me how to include a .pdf of the tables to this post? I might also be able to save to Word or Excel.
Anyway, the correction confirms that the "m3/h" in Table A.2 should be "barrel/h". There are other corrections shown in both Table A.1 and A.2 that are already correct on our copy so I guess it depends when the copy was purchased - ours was purchased 2011/10/5.
I sent Mr. Crimaudo a follow-up question asking if other purchasers of API 2000 6th ed are sent notices of these errata and corrections. I'll try to post here any reply I get to that. I may not be able to respond right away - quite busy here these days.

#9 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

zyllaron,

If the corrected versions are already in pdf format then you just need to select the "More Reply Options" where you will find a tab for attachments. If you click on that you will be asked to upload the file which can be done by selecting the file form the folder and clicking upload.

Regards,
Ankur.