Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Recovery Of Fluorine From Spent Bath

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 sayhello2sagar

sayhello2sagar

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:02 AM

I am working on a project on recovering fluorine from spent bath i.e.( material left over in aluminium reduction pots is spent bath). The spent bath contains around 30-35% fluorine which can be extracted and adsorbed on alumina , to be reused to reduce the consumption of aluminium fluoride in reduction pots.

The process involves heating ~ 50 gm of spent bath with 30% fluorine with concentrated sulphuric acid at 180 deg.C . The reaction between H2SO4 and spent bath liberates HF gas which is adsorbed on alumina. The set-up consists of a closed reaction vessel with agitator and heater for mixing of acid and spent bath ( see the attachment). The gas liberated is passed through a bed of alumina ( ~ 100 gm) in a chamber.

With this we are achiveing ~ 85% recovery of fluorine from spent bath, but the adsorption is only 20%. We have tried various tests with higher quanity of alumina , but the adsorption is low.

I wanted to calculate the tower height required for effective adsorption by increasing the contact time between gas and alumina.

Can anybody please help me in this,

Attached Files