Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Barometric Leg

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Abm

Abm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:27 AM

Please Explain me about the "Barometric Leg" concept & how it is applicable in vaccum overhead system? Why the vaccum condenser is placed at the top i.e Near the top of the column and the hot well is placed at the ground? I am unable to understand the concept of hotwell too??? I have enclosed the pdf along with this. Kindle guide with a clear explanation.

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

Abm:

In order to work successfully, a vacuum system must be sealed and totally enclosed. Otherwise, it can't sustain or maintain a vacuum. The condensate produced in the vacuum condenser must be evacuated from the system continuously - and yet it must be kept sealed from the superior, outside atmospheric pressure.

We know that an atmosphere of pressure (14.7 psia) will raise a column of water 10.33 meters. By placing a condenser well above this height we know that any condensate dropped into a stand pipe that deposits the condensate in a ground-level tank (a "hot" well) will do so and will maintain the condenser and the vacuum system sealed from the atmospheric pressure in the ground-level tank (as long as there is enough liquid inventory in the tank to fill the 10.33 meters of pipe. The tank has an overflow that allows it to get rid of the collected condensate. This is basically the principle used when the condensate is water or something similar in properties. In the case of other fluids with densities different from water, the height of the stand pipe is different.

Note: you failed to attach your .pdf sketch.

I hope this helps you understand the principle.