Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Natural Gas Calculation!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Fish

Fish

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:41 AM

Hi all,

I have got a specific doubt on the calculation of natural gas pipe diameter.

I have 10,000 m3 of natural gas flow at a pressure of 5 kg/cm2 coming at 15 deg C.

I want to calculate the volume of flow, number of moles & ultimately pipe diameter for the above mentioned flow. I have done my calculation which I think is not right & hence needs confirmation.

Plz help me in calculating this.

Thank you.

Regards,
Vishal

Attached Files

Edited by Fish, 14 April 2012 - 07:21 AM.

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:01 AM

You should post your calculation .

As you know PV = nRT

Breizh

#3 Shivshankar

Shivshankar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:07 AM

Vishal,

FLow= Velocity X Area

Density= Mass/Volume

Area = (3.14) (Diameter square)/4

Pressure X Volume= Number of moles X Gas constant X Temperature (PV = nRT)

If you know the concept of Hydraulic diameter and Reynolds Number, Kinematic Viscosity, Dynamic Viscosity and Bernoulis equation you can calculate it.

Else, attach your calculation work copy so that we will know where you are stuck.

Attached are some documents to help you.

Regards
Shivshankar

Attached Files

#4 S.AHMAD

S.AHMAD

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 786 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:14 AM

1. Not very clear your request and required more information. Flow rate 10,000 m3 is it m3/h or you have in the gas in storage?
2. It is very helpful if you could attached your calculation so that we know what went wrong

#5 Shivshankar

Shivshankar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:58 AM

Hi Vishal,

Attached following aocument will help you.

Regards
Shivshankar

Attached Files

#6 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

http://www.pipeflowc...s.com/flowrate/

A good calculator !

Breizh

#7 Fish

Fish

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

Hi Breizh,

Thank you for your reply.

Plz see my original posts for attached file.

Plz let me know where I've gone wrong.

your suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Vishal

#8 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

Vishal ,

a few comments !

Flow rate I guess is expressed in m3/h

Why do you take account water in your calculation you are dealing with gas ?

density = Mw/V with V =Z*R*T/P (m3/mol) thus density is in kg/m3

Flow (m3/h) / Mol volume (m3/mol) = mol/h

velocity (m/s) = Flow (m3/h)/3600 /pipe area (m2)

Hope this helps

Breizh

#9 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

Vishal ,

As Breizh has implied, you obviously don’t know what you are doing or you are not aware of the theory behind fluid flow. In order to calculate the required diameter for a pipe, you must first identify what flow rate you propose to put though it. Note that the correct term is flow RATE – not just a volume of gas. You fail to give the rate of flow in your post and in your calculations.

You also fail totally to identify a flow rate equation that applies to the calculation. You refer to the ideal gas law – which has nothing whatsoever to do with the flow of gas – but that is all.

You should first be reading and studying the material that Shivshankar was kind enough to furnish you. That is the basis of what you should be calculating on. You seem to have a classical case of compressible fluid flow, but you show no evidence that you know what you are dealing with.

In order for you to have a flow of any sort through your pipe, you must suffer a pressure drop. That is the basis for all fluid flow – compressible or uncompressible. Without a pressure drop there can be no flow of any fluid through a conduit. Yet you don’t even make mention of a pressure drop.

From what you have submitted, I am forced to judge that you require a total immersion in the theory of fluid flow – specifically compressible fluid flow, which is more difficult than uncompressible fluid flow. In my opinion, you have your work cut out for you if you are to understand and subsequently solve fluid flow problems. Good luck.

#10 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

Vishal ,

I've attached a good paper dealing with natural gas and compressible flow .

it should help

Breizh

#11 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Breizh:

Excellent contribution to this thread - and to all eager and ambitious engineering students following this Forum. Your help and support in this Forum deserves the highest praise - especially from all the students who read this thread.

May your tribe increase.

#12 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

Merci Mr Montemayor !

Breizh

#13 Fish

Fish

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

Thanx for your judgement Mr. Montemayor.

But I am not in interest of the people who dont correct others but just feel happy of giving free lectures. Well, I did not post my problem for the kind of comments that you have posted. I agreed that I went wrong somewhere & hence needed some clarification. I was just hoping to get a rough idea of pipe diameter of natural gas line at the flow rate & pressure I mentioned. I myself was not aware of how much pressure drop will be there as We are newly commissioning natural gas in the plant & we are in a very preliminary stage. I very well know comp & incomp nature of fluids.

My sincere suggestion to you, If you do not have attributes to correct specifically, then plz do not comment with general & airy comments. That serves no good.

Thanks anyway.

Vishal

Edited by Fish, 13 April 2012 - 11:38 PM.

#14 Fish

Fish

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

Thank you for your attachment & suggestions Mr. Breizh.

I shall refer to it & try correct myself. If I have any specific doubts I will come back to you.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

With Best Regards,
Vishal

#15 Shivshankar

Shivshankar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:21 AM

Thanx for your judgement Mr. Montemayor.

But I am not in interest of the people who dont correct others but just feel happy of giving free lectures. Well, I did not post my problem for the kind of comments that you have posted. I agreed that I went wrong somewhere & hence needed some clarification. I was just hoping to get a rough idea of pipe diameter of natural gas line at the flow rate & pressure I mentioned. I myself was not aware of how much pressure drop will be there as We are newly commissioning natural gas in the plant & we are in a very preliminary stage. I very well know comp & incomp nature of fluids.

My sincere suggestion to you, If you do not have attributes to correct specifically, then plz do not comment with general & airy comments. That serves no good.

Thanks anyway.

Vishal

Vishal,

Can you let us know in this thread who gave you free lecture ?

If you come better prepare and with proper question. we will come to know where you stuck. If you going to put wrong units and if someone see your spreadsheet attached, no one will understand it properly, what you are trying to do.
If something is wrong here with above comments by me, please let me know.But i don't see someone gave you free lecture here. we are trying help you by putting useful documents for your help, by putting our precious time and if you are complaining in this forum, this is disappointing. first point finger to yourself, and then to others.You are upcoming engineer, so we are helping out in a best way.

Regards
Shivshankar

#16 Fish

Fish

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

Hi shivshankar,

That comment was not for you. It was for someone else. I have mentioned the name there too.

Plz see clearly.

Regards,
vishal