Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Water Storage Tank Solution Gas Venting

gas battery solution gas venting

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 sealittle

sealittle

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

Hello,

I am a Jr. Process Engineer and have been working on a Gas Battery that will be constructed in Saskatchewan. After the most recent HAZOP review, the question was posed: What will be the venting volumes from our Slop Water tank? There will be 2 400bbl tanks, in series.

I have generated a number on my simulator by flashing our water stream down to atmospheric conditions, however this gas quantity seems low.
Also, I have determined the solution gas that will evolve from the clean oil tanks using CAPP as a guideline( EUB Method, Vasquez and Briggs, and Standing Correlation)

My question: How do I go about conducting this calculation?

Thank you,

#2 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:09 AM

sealittle,

You can use a process simulator to perform flash calcualtions to obtain the solution gas vent rate which obviously would be the most rigorous method to obtain solution gas venting rate. Alternatively, there are some empirical methods to perform solution gas vent rate calculalions such as:

1. EUB Rule of Thumb Method
2. Standing Correlation
3. Vasquez & Beggs Correlation

Of these, the Vasquez and Beggs correlation is the most accurate which I have programmed as an excel spreadsheet. Here is a link for the description and equations for the above-mentioned methods.

http://membernet.cap...dt=PDF&dn=38234

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ankur.

#3 sealittle

sealittle

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

Ankur, I appreciate your thoughtful response.

One more question:

In the case of my treater:
Emulsion is being treated, after I determine my solution gas to oil ratio, do I find the product of the ratio and the Total Emulsion volume? Or do I just employ the amount of oil that is in the treater( Say 900m3/d emulsion, 600m3/d of which is oil).

I look forward to your response.

Thank you.

#4 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:53 AM

sealittle,

Emulsion (water + oil) should be considered as a single liquid phase and the Gas-to-Oil Ratio in such a case becomes the Gas-to-Liquid ratio and hence the quantity will be 900 m3/day emulsion. This is because the gas is dissolved in the oi-water emulsion.

Regards,
Ankur.

#5 sealittle

sealittle

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

I appreciate the prompt response. Thank you for the clarification Ankur.