Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Drawing A Cross Section Of An Equipment

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Lord Dark

Lord Dark

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

Hi all ,, Am doing a project regarding designing a biofuel plant ,, after doing the aspen part ,, now for the real design part which will include finding the diameter and height of each equipment and stuff. Our instructor told us that we need to draw a cross section of each equipment with its diameter and height to explain more about our equipment. for example , I have a heat exchanger so i have to draw a cross section of the shell side and tube side showing number of tubes,buffles, pitches arrangments and stuff .. is there a software that can do that (besides autocad) ?? learning autocad will take time and I'll be spending my time on sizing and designing the equipments ...

thanks in advance ..

#2 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

You could try Visio..

#3 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

I will repeat what I have been telling countless Students and Professionals for many years now:

Use Microsoft Excel Spread sheets for drawing engineering sketches, diagrams, and equipment.  I have done this many times and have even uploaded an Excel workbook that shows you how to do it - step by step.  All you have to do is SEARCH and upload the workbook.

It is NO COST, easy, practical, and a "no-brainer".   What else could you ask for?

#4 Lord Dark

Lord Dark

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:19 PM   Best Answer

I searched for the excel sheet and found it ,, thanks alot

#5 kkala

kkala

Gold Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

My opinion differs somehow. If you can use autocad  in your university without individual fee, it is not a bad idea to try it; you will get some elementary familiarization, which may be useful later.  This is more or less true for any other drafting software freely available to you within university (probably having some licenses) . It is easier to draft e.g. the cross section of a tubular exchanger by such software, especially if drawing has to be on scale (which may or may not be your case).See also < http://www.cheresour...ocad#entry63651>.

It is good to devote (say) two hours time to each of two options (drafting software and MS Office drawing tools), if possible with one who can assist, trying to see which fits your specific needs.

A local engineer (not Chemical) made sketches using MS Office tools, then felt relief when introduced to Autocad Lite. On the other hand MS Office drawing tools can be proper choice for a specific case; and anybody can see and edit resulting sketches.
Advantages of Autocad (or similar) software become more apparent as number and complexity of drawings increase. Free familiarization may be worth while.

Besides advice on the link of mentioned "spreadsheet for drawing engineering sketches, diagrams and equipment" would be welcomed. Having searched in the downloads by Art Montemayor as well as the forum, I have not found it.

Edited by kkala, 04 February 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#6 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Maybe he found these?

http://www.cheresour...id-using-excel/

http://www.cheresour...-pids-in-excel/

Attached Files

Edited by thorium90, 04 February 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#7 kkala

kkala

Gold Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Thanks thorium90, I think "Engineering_Art_Rev1.XLS" is the requested spreadsheet. Mentioned links also give supplementary information on the topic.