Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Ridiculous Practice In My Country

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 processengbd

processengbd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:50 AM

I live in a south east Asian country. I joined a private company. Where i have been doing process simulation, design & operation. But the thing is that in our country a Bsc engineer when enter to a position then he is called Assistant Engineer. As far as i know this position does not exist for a graduate engineer. And another ridiculous thing is Assistant engineer gets promoted to Manager and so on. Now i joined as assistant process engineer. If i want to apply for a job abroad will they accept it?

Thanks

#2 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:12 AM

processengbd,

Why go by titles? I have seen titles at senior levels such as "Assistant Vice President", "Vice President", "Senior vice President" and the like. At middle and upper middle level titles such as "Assistant Manager", "Deputy Manager", "Manager", "Senior Manager", "Assistant General Manager", "Deputy General Manager" abound in the country I belong to. Do these glorified titles mean anything? No, not really.

Your abilities and your diligence is what that really matters. You work for a living or in other words your remuneration in terms of salary, perks and bonuses is what that counts more than any glorified title. Providing glorified titles is just an eye-wash. If your management is truly worth it's salt they should recognize your abilities in terms of increased salary, perks and bonuses. Another way of showing appreciation is to provide commendation letters and citations.

Well this is how I view these silly titles. Others may have a different opinion.

Regards,
Ankur.

Edited by ankur2061, 02 May 2013 - 06:13 AM.

#3 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

Ahh, I absolutely get what you mean. Its extremely prevalent here. People like to be awarded fancy titles when they join a company. Waiters in restaurants are now known as floor managers, food service managers. Yup, they still serve food to the diners just like other waiters.

In process plants, technicians are now known as assistant engineers, assistant operation engineers, assistant process engineers, process executives.

The fact is that many companies can only spend a short time to interview and get to know potential candidates. The quickest method to screen out potential candidates out of hundreds is to first throw out those that do not meet the qualifications. Then throw out those that do not meet the required experiences in terms of the number of years and relevant experience.

Then you will ask, what constitutes relevant experience? Well, I note that many employers look at the job title! For example, if you were an assistant process engineer, you would stand a better chance then someone whose job title is a plant general worker.

Well, of course employers do look at your previous descriptions but who is to say what you did or didnt do? Fancy job titles definitely look more impressive on a resume as well as on name cards etc. Employers know that and use this to entice potential applicants.

I remember reading an article or thread some time back on "Protecting the title of Engineers". If I find it, I could post it here. I found it really true.

Edited by thorium90, 02 May 2013 - 06:41 AM.

#4 processengbd

processengbd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

Thank you Ankur &thorium90 for your such prompt & honest reply.
@ Ankur Yes I totally agree with you that title does not matter. It is important what I do & how i do it. But now a days As suggested by @ thorium90 people make themselves so busy & recruitment process has become so automated that title does matter to get a new job.

Regards
Processengbd

Edited by processengbd, 02 May 2013 - 10:19 AM.