Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Heat Exchanger Research Papers - Look Inside For Specifics.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 alejandromorales192

alejandromorales192

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:18 PM

Hello,

I am currently trying to find research papaers that talk about the relations of heat transfer and flow regimes in heat exchangers. Specifically how in a water-water shell and tube heat exchanger having different flow regimes in the shell fluid can affect the overall heat transfer coefficient or heat transfer in general. I have found many papers explaining flow regimes however I am having a hard time finding literature on this specific topic. I know from my textbooks that the effect of laminar and turbulent flow will have different effects on the temperature profiles, however I would like to see some actually data on this topic and better insight because the book does not go into the deteils of turbulent flow.

Any source would be ok as I have access to a lot of journal articles through my university and books will also be aceptable. Also if there is any website that you recommend I can look on please inform me.

Thank You.

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:28 PM

Why don't you try to make a spreadsheet for a fixed S&T exchanger geometry, and then vary the flows on both sides to see the effects of velocities on individual film coefficients and on the overall heat transfer coefficient? This would probably be the most illustrative way as you can observe directly what is happening.

You can use any of the design equations from the textbooks. As long as you are using the same approach for all cases, relative error will be zero.

#3 alejandromorales192

alejandromorales192

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 02:26 PM

I actually have experimental data on this topic from the unit operations lab and have spreadsheet simulations; however, I am getting a trend that is not linear. My hypothesis is that the flow regimes in the shell fluid have an effect on the heat transfer. So I would like to back up my theory with literature which there most be out there but I can't find. Also do to the nature of the experiment and the equipment I had available I was only able to geta very limited set of data which makes it harder to study, and my simulations are not showing a good trend compare to my experimental data.

Anyways I just wanted to see what other people have been able to see in heat exchanger performace with different flow regimes to get a better idea of what is happening in mine. I wish I had more time in the lab to do a full and detail study but I couldn't in the time frame I was given.

#4 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 02:50 PM

I would expect anything but linear pattern in performance of a heat exchanger. This is obvious from the design equations.