Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Lmtd For Heat Exchanger When Shell Side Has Two Inlets At Different Te

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 cheminst

cheminst

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:07 AM

Can anyone please tell me how to calculate the LMTD value for this shell and tube heat exchanger.

Shell side has two separate inlets which are considerably far from each other. One is a gas stream sparged at 187 0C temperature and other is a liquid stream at 106 0C.The gas stream is continuously sparged through a pool of liquid,(with the continuous liquid stream coming) and an exothermic chemical reaction happens between the gas and the liquid.I have calculated the heat load of the heat exchanger.

Both gas and liquid streams mix ,react and leave at two outlets in same place ,where gas and liquid are in same temperature at 175 0C.

Tube side is a U tube bundle submerged in the pool of liquid. Inlet is saturated water at 4.5 bar pressure (at 147.9 0C) and outlet is saturated steam at 4.5 bar pressure (at 147.9 0C)

I'm puzzled about how to get the inlet temperature of the shell side to calculate LMTD value, Should I use the average temperature ? or is there any other way.

Edited by cheminst, 01 January 2016 - 06:09 AM.

#2 srfish

srfish

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 408 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:45 AM

It would help if you would provide a sketch of the location of the shell side nozzles. There is not going to be a single LMTD. The LMTD will have  to be weighted.

#3 cheminst

cheminst

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:16 PM

Here is the sketch of the location of the shell side nozzles. Can you please tell me now how to calculate the LMTD value?

Attached File  sketch.JPG   33.54KB   3 downloads

#4 cheminst

cheminst

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:51 PM

Please forgive me for the mistake. It won't happen again.

#5 cheminst

cheminst

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:32 AM

I'm in urgent need for the answer. Can anyone please post a reply about how to solve this or name any reference

#6 srfish

srfish

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:29 PM

I don't believe you will find anything like this setup in the literature. What is that in the outlet ? How are you separating the gas and liquid? I suggest a kettle reboiler to separate the liquid and gas.

The inlet temperature for a LMTD calculation could be the temperature after the exothermic reaction and the gas and liquid mix.

#7 cheminst

cheminst

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:26 AM

Actually this is the pool condenser used in stamicarbon process for urea production as depicted by the following diagram. Gas and liquid just flows by overflowing as I assume.

So if I take inlet temperature as you said, is it okay not to use multiple LMTDs and weight them as you said early ?

Attached Files

• Attached File  pc.JPG   49.36KB   2 downloads

#8 srfish

srfish

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:05 PM   Best Answer

That is right. You do not need to weight the LMTD since the liquid mixes with the gas before it reaches the heat exchanger tubing. The sketch shows a large space behind the bundle. There should be very little space there where the fluid could bypass the bundle.

#9 S.AHMAD

S.AHMAD

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 786 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:46 PM

1. I strongly believe that the problem in this scenario is not to determine LMTD.

2. The main issue is to determine the film heat transfer coefficient of the shell since it is a two phase stream.

3. Since the inlet and outlet temperatures are known then the LMTD can be calculated,.is it not?

S.Ahmad