Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Rv Lifting Levers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_HelpNASA_*

Guest_HelpNASA_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:45 AM

We're having a discussion about requirements for lift levers on RVs. ASME BPVC Sec VIII Div 1 para UG-136(a)(3) states "Each pressure relief valve on air, water over 140°F (60”C), or steam service shall have a substantial lifting device . . .". We interpret the "air" fluid as being ambient air with potential high humidity, and condensate in an air receiver tank.

Our service is research air, filtered and dried to a -90F dewpoint. We have never lifted lift levers in our system; we remove RVs and bench test periodically either in-house, or at a VR shop for Code valves. Lift levers make valves expensive. I noted in an RP520 task force meeting (4/20/2005) that "Nobody in room understands the technical justification for the lifting levers. " See link

http://committees.ap...sjntmin-s05.pdf

Since we are testing valves on the unit or on the bench (per NBIC 23, RB3550), are lifting levers a requirement?

#2 Guest_HelpNASA_*

Guest_HelpNASA_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:36 AM

I found that ASME BPVC Code Case 2203 allows omission of lifting levers for Sec VIII relief valves, provided that an inspection program is in place to periodically test valves. This does not apply to Sec I RVs, though. User EGT01 at Eng-Tips.com gave me the information.

Larry

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:47 AM

QUOTE (HelpNASA @ Jun 12 2006, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We're having a discussion about requirements for lift levers on RVs. ASME BPVC Sec VIII Div 1 para UG-136(a)(3) states "Each pressure relief valve on air, water over 140°F (60”C), or steam service shall have a substantial lifting device . . .". We interpret the "air" fluid as being ambient air with potential high humidity, and condensate in an air receiver tank.

Our service is research air, filtered and dried to a -90F dewpoint. We have never lifted lift levers in our system; we remove RVs and bench test periodically either in-house, or at a VR shop for Code valves. Lift levers make valves expensive. I noted in an RP520 task force meeting (4/20/2005) that "Nobody in room understands the technical justification for the lifting levers. " See link

http://committees.ap...sjntmin-s05.pdf

Since we are testing valves on the unit or on the bench (per NBIC 23, RB3550), are lifting levers a requirement?

I am not an expert, but it is my understanding the history of the lifting lever goes back to the late 1800s or early 1900s when metallurgy and seat design was not as advanced as it is today. Typically they would chain the lifting lever to pulleys and a pull handle located at a safe distance. The RV would be tested daily or on a periodic basis to ensure it works by operating the lifting lever. The code has provided an exemption that you have already found that allows you to operate without the lever provided you follow the code exemption requirements.

WDB12630