Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Continuous Distillation Column

distillation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 mat333r

mat333r

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:22 AM

Hi All,

I am having an issue with Continuous distillation column. In my solvent recovery plant I have 3 Columns and 2 reactor vessels for flash distillation. for Heating I am using thermic fluid heater with capacity of 1500000 kCal/hr. At a time I run 4 of these units for distillation and they require heat of approximately 1400000 kCal/hr. My question is when the set temperature of thermic fluid is achieved will my thermic fluid heater cut off or keep running. in thermic fluid heater I use furnace oil is used as fuel and Therminol -55 is the thermic fluid. Hourly Furnace oil consumption is 140 ltr and Furnace oil have calorific value of 10200 to 10400 kCal/kg. 

My second question is whether the heater will give 100% output i.e. 1500000 kCal/hr or it will be less than that?

#2 rilmehta

rilmehta

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:55 AM

Hello Mat

For thermic heaters there is always a set point range. Suppose your HOS - 200 C & HOR - 190 C, so in that case if HOR goes to 200 C (under no load condition) the hot oil unit will be going into shutdown mode i.e, the shutdown cycle will start. When the temperature again goes to 190 C it will go in restart mode. 

When you define 1.5 Mkcal, it can give up to 100 % capacity no concerns here. All the efficiency allowances are taken care by the vendor in design itself.

Hope this explains.