Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Ngl Turboexpander Recovery Hysys

ngl hysys

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ivanwg

ivanwg

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:20 PM

Hi friends,  I have some problems in  NGL Hysys simulation tower convergence, I'm trying to do a turboexpander process of article "Techno-economic analysis of potential natural gas liquid (NGL) recovery processes under variations of feed compositions" by Mesfin Getu, Shuhaimi Mahadzir,Nguyen Van Duc Long and Moonyong Lee, I'm attaching both files-article and simulation- I hope someone can help me in achieve convergence. I'm working with Fig. 1 scheme and gas composition number 5. Thanks in advance...

Ivan Wilson

Attached Files

#2 ivanwg

ivanwg

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:34 PM

I think I have to convert hysys file...

Attached Files

#3 Fletch

Fletch

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:33 AM

Ivan,

A couple of things that might get you on your way.

1) column type, you have shown a full distillation column, with reboiler and condenser - Change to a Reboiled Absorber, you don't have a condeser, the feed stream from the expander is providing reflux for the column (this will remove one of the column specs that you have to define)

2) the feed streams to the column need to be fully specified, i.e. PA1 and PA2. insert a recycle into both streams, so that PA1 and PA2 can be specified (with an initial guess) as the simulation runs it will update the result.

3a) Column Specs, PA1 and PA2 rates. as these are acting as reboilers, these can be considered to be taking a high liquid rate. One way to help specify this flow rate, is to specify the residual liquid from that tray going down the column, you specify this as a small number, so the rest will go to the side reboilers... and as the liquid rate varies so much when its solving, it helps stabilize the simulation

3b) I think i often start with a temperature in the reboiler, as this is a soft spec to get it running and then fine tune later with methane spec in the bottoms.

4) Start relaxed, its best to try and not achieve the targeted recoveries of LPGs straight off, get the column to solve and then dial down the specs (e.g. Ethane in the ovheads) and other parameters etc.

I often use the LNG Exchanger instead of a shell and tube, the setup is easier as the streams and specs are all together and you can do the multiple pass i.e. E-100 and E-104 could be shown as a single unit, Your sales gas stream goes the full distance and the two feed streams 2 and 8 are come in and out. You then can use the combined composite curve to see your pinch points and how you can push more of less flow through the unit (i.e. specify your split from your tees)

Its been a while since i have done one, sorry if some of this information is a bit off, its just what has come back to me.