Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Level Sensing On A Dirty Slurry Tank

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Eprocess

Eprocess

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:06 AM

Hello,

I have a 800 L tank with 2 meters height and I need to find a practical way of monitoring the level in it. Right now we have bubbler on it but it doesn't work because we have a very dirty fluid (20% wood in raw diesel). I was wondering what are the practical options that I can look into. Is looking into a magnetic float or a radar level meters a good idea? I don't have much experience with level meters our tank is atmospheric and the temperature is around 300 C, and at some points we have water vapor in the tank.

Thanks 

Edited by Eprocess, 03 November 2016 - 11:55 AM.

#2 senthil13

senthil13

Veteran Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:15 PM

If you have good dielectric constants for the material inside the tank , Radar can be used.

#3 Eprocess

Eprocess

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:12 AM

If you have good dielectric constants for the material inside the tank , Radar can be used.

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking of a low frequency non contacting radar as the dielectric constant should be less than 4 I think. As I mentioned it is a slurry tank and there is also vapors in there so I was wondering how sensitive are those antennas. I mean can they handle a little solid build up on them? I know it's supposed to be non contact but with vapors in the tank eventually there will be some solids on it.

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:34 AM

Hi ,

Consider to contact vendor like Vega for radar application or other big names like Khrone /Rosemount /E&H for other technology.

Breizh

#5 senthil13

senthil13

Veteran Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:20 AM

Agreed with Breizh, vendors are the best resource for this.they might have some examples on installation and success /failure stories to share with.

Good Luck.

#6 JLMONTREAL

JLMONTREAL

Gold Member

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:28 PM

I saw radar + slight gas (air or N2) purge used in fouling service; indeed, vendor can recommend the configuration.