Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Naphtha Stabilizer Pressure

stabilizer lpg pressure

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 SebaM3

SebaM3

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:44 AM

I'm working on a naphtha stabilizer system handbook (in a HDT unit) and I wanted to know which reason defines the operation pressure of the system. The column works at 11 barg, I understand that it works at that pressure with the aim to obtain LPG, preassuming that the minimum temperature that you can achieve in the condenser using cooling water is about 40°C, and you need 11 barg to obtain LPG in the threephase separator at that temperature. Am I right? Could there be another reason to work at that pressure instead of a lower pressure?

(Excuse me for my English level)

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:55 AM

Your reasoning is logical.

Bobby

#3 colt16

colt16

Gold Member

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:30 AM

I'm working on a naphtha stabilizer system handbook (in a HDT unit) and I wanted to know which reason defines the operation pressure of the system. The column works at 11 barg, I understand that it works at that pressure with the aim to obtain LPG, preassuming that the minimum temperature that you can achieve in the condenser using cooling water is about 40°C, and you need 11 barg to obtain LPG in the threephase separator at that temperature. Am I right? Could there be another reason to work at that pressure instead of a lower pressure?

(Excuse me for my English level)

Yes. This is just true not just for stabilizer but any column. The condensing temperature of the overhead product and the choice of condenser (fin fan - 50degC condensing temperature, cooling water - 40degC) governs the overhead pressure to operate at.

In general, lower operating pressure enables easier separation. Therefore one would want to use as low a pressure as possible but this comes with a lower condensing temperature and your cooling medium might not be able to deliver.