Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Losses In Valves

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 SR23

SR23

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:03 PM

I've recently conducted an experiment investigating losses through pipes and fittings with water as the fluid and I'm a little unsure how to proceed calculating the theoretical pressure drop through the globe and gate valves for my lab report.

I know that for bends you need to essentially sum the frictional losses along the pipe and the head loss from the bend using Darcy-Weisbach and H_l = k*u^2/2g.  

When calculating pressure loss across a valve is it the same procedure or do you not need to take into account frictional losses from the pipe? I think I'm getting a little confused by this as well from my experimental data as my results show the differential pressure across the valves increasing as the flowrate decreases - surely this is wrong? I thought that the differential pressure is proportional to flowrate and so shouldn't it be decreasing as flowrate decreases?

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Edited by kkg14, 13 December 2016 - 02:05 PM.

#2 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:54 PM

It is possible lower water flow with larger differential pressure across a valve because of flow regime transferring from turbulent flow to laminar flow.

#3 SR23

SR23

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:21 PM

It is possible lower water flow with larger differential pressure across a valve because of flow regime transferring from turbulent flow to laminar flow.

Would you mind explaining why that would happen?

Also, would that still be possible with Reynolds numbers ranging between 8000 - 20000? These are all pretty much in the turbulent regime and my results show that as the flowrate decreases, the pressure drop increases steadily from 0.1 bar-0.4 bar in increments of 0.1. Not sure if my results are correct or not.  

#4 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:26 PM

The details of your experimental setup matter. If the flow is regulated by the valve, then reducing the opening of the valve to reduce flow would result in a higher pressure drop across the valve. The sum of the individual pressure drops in the system must equal the overall pressure drop. 

#5 SR23

SR23

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:45 PM

Yes, the flow was indeed regulated by the valves. Here's a picture of the experimental setup to clarify things as well. 

Attached File  water_rig.jpeg   79.71KB   1 downloads

Ah, so what you're saying is that the differential pressure measured from the valves is the total pressure drop experienced by the system from all the pipes and fittings?

#6 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:55 PM

Valve pressure drop is: (total pressure drop) minus (pipe and fitting pressure drop). You can often get good values for the source point (beginning) and sink point (ending) of your system. The pressure drops through the fixed diameter pipe and fittings can be calculated pretty reliably by standard equations. You can assign to the control valve whatever pressure drop is left over in your system calculations. In the real world, you change the flow rate by changing the opening of the valve. In your calculations, it is often easier to measure the flow rate and then back-calculate the pressure drop across the valve because you know that the total pressure drop must be made up by the sum of the individual pressure drops.