Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Crude Column Simulation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Phukan

Phukan

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:55 AM

I am trying to simulate a crude unit in Hysys. Presently THe unit has two pump arounds. One is Kero and other is HGO. We plan to revamp this unit for better heat recovery and withdrawal of a heavy Naphtha of cut range 140-180 for direct feeding as CRU feed. Crude is llight API of 40. While simulating I am getting a condenser temeprature of -50 deg C. So I have practically two questions:-

1. Is it pratically possible in a crude column to get a 140-180 cut from the column and even then maintain the Kero/ATF flash points. 

2. I am not able to converge the column with condenser temperature of say 40 deg C.

I am attaching the proposed case as attachement.

Any help would be useful.

#2 pavanayi

pavanayi

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 258 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:13 AM

Did you back blend the feed into the CDU column?

Check and verify your off-gas (material balance) and that is most likely the reason for the problems with the overhead calculations. 

Edited by pavanayi, 31 December 2016 - 11:20 AM.

#3 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:42 PM

Sounds like you should enlist the services of a professional to design the modifications for you. At least to the process design stage.

Bobby

#4 colt16

colt16

Gold Member

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:21 PM

At such a low condensing temperature, I suspect you are trying to make a total condenser in the Overhead. 

You should be using a Partial Condenser. I am not sure of your exact CDU configuration. Do you have an overhead Compressor that compresses the overhead gas?

Check where does your gas stream go. 

#5 rdcrags

rdcrags

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:04 PM

Colt16's comment about a partial condenser makes sense to me. Also, get the crude analysis from an assay. Double the gas quantities, as some of it is lost during sampling.