Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Ir Flame Detector

infrared detector process gas process flame detectors flame oil and gas safety

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Sarah_Process_engineer

Sarah_Process_engineer

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:03 AM

We have an IR flame detector oriented to the incinerator where the temperature can reach 900°C.

Recently, we had so many times false detections and we suggested it was due the high temperature in the incinerator, because it is Infra-red detector, it can detects corpses by the energy given off them. So we changed the orientation a little to only meet the fuel gas skid more than the incinerator .

For me, the IR detectors only detect element given off hot gases like CO2 or H2O and cannot see energy from hot bodies. 

But the question I want to ask, is the detection it was made frequently was by the CO2 and H2O given off from combustion reactions inside the incinerator (is it possible the detection comes from behind the body of the furnace?) or is it really due to the temperature??!!!

Thank you very much.

#2 pavanayi

pavanayi

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 258 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:19 PM

Sarah,

It is a bit difficult to follow your question as the terminologies you have used are a bit unconventional. Did you try to translate your question using a web service?

#3 Sarah_Process_engineer

Sarah_Process_engineer

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:36 AM

Sarah,

It is a bit difficult to follow your question as the terminologies you have used are a bit unconventional. Did you try to translate your question using a web service?

Oh! no, at all ... can you please tell me what terminology you did not understand so I can explain to you!

Thank you

#4 pavanayi

pavanayi

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 258 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:17 AM

What are you trying to detect? When you mention you had several false alarms, how did you conclude that the alarms were false? What did you mean by 'Behind the body of furnace'?

#5 sgkim

sgkim

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:13 PM

Flame detection failures may be due to various causes and shall be investigated by a professional. Single IR sensor often cannot detect flame failures due to the back-ground radiation form refractories or simple carbon accumulation on the surface of peep hole glass.  .  

Multiple IR detectors with proper algorithms, a combination of IR and UV, or single UV detector may probably solve your specific problem.  Refer to the following site for the selection of various flame detector options:

https://www3.spectre...tion_guide.html

Stefano G. Kim

#6 Chemitofreak

Chemitofreak

Gold Member

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:10 AM

# my two cents:

Both UV & IR type flame sensors can give false alarm due to obscuration due to smoke etc.

These detectors are not recommended for use as a sole means for detection system. Infrared imagers are available these days can correct this issue though.

Maybe you guys should use additional flame detection system to avoid false alarm and subsequent shutdown.