Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Homogeneous Reactors Question Help

plug flow reactor homogeneous reactor equilibrium reaction

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 firefox23

firefox23

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:56 AM

Attached File  IMG_1114.JPG   134.62KB   0 downloadsHi, I am struggling with a homogeneous reactors question and would much appreciate any help! the question I have attached as a image and all of the other information I have been give for the question i have also attached. I have the values for Xmax from a previous question and i have values for K1 at different temperatures. The reactor can be modelled as PFR and so i performed a mole balance over a small element dV to get the volume of the PFR as can be seen in the image. I also calculated molar ratios of all reactants and products and multiplied by P to get partial pressures. I then subbed these in to get the integration as shown. I am using excel and so used trapezium rule to solve the integration however the graphs i get for temperature vs. volume does not seem right and the values for volume seem much too low. Any ideas what i might have done wrong? I've also attached the graph i got for volume against temperature.Attached File  IMG_1102.JPG   91.09KB   1 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1103.JPG   114.2KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1104.JPG   198.83KB   0 downloads

Edited by firefox23, 30 January 2017 - 01:13 PM.

#2 Mahdi1980

Mahdi1980

Gold Member

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:19 AM

Hi,

I have checked just your integration formula,

If your equations are true, you can check that there is a mistake in simplifying of the last statement of the integration.

the math statement within the integral to be :

dx. (1+X).2K1/ ((1-X)2k1p - p^2.X^2)

but you have written an additional (1+X) in the denominator. It seems that by revising your formula, the volume will be higher.

Please check it and solve the revised formula and let me know the result.

Mahdi,

#3 firefox23

firefox23

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:22 AM

Hi,

If your equations are true, you can check that there is a mistake in simplifying of the last statement of the integration.

but you have written an additional (1+X) in the denominator. It seems that by revising your formula, the volume will be higher.

Mahdi,

Hi, there is an extra (1+x) because of the (1-x)/(1+x) term. in order to have (1+x)^2 on the numerator I have to multiply this term by (1+x) so that I have (1-x)(1+x) on the denominator. Apologies I've just realised that the (1 +x)^2k1 looks like 2 x k1

Edited by firefox23, 30 January 2017 - 12:04 PM.

#4 Francisco Angel

Francisco Angel

Gold Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:50 PM

Hi,

Mahdi,

Hi, there is an extra (1+x) because of the (1-x)/(1+x) term. in order to have (1+x)^2 on the numerator I have to multiply this term by (1+x) so that I have (1-x)(1+x) on the denominator. Apologies I've just realised that the (1 +x)^2k1 looks like 2 x k1

I agree with firefox23 regarding the integration term. As for your results, you could make and order of magnitude estimate considering a CSTR like this:

V_CSTR=F_EB_inlet * X / r

You could provide more details to help others check your work, like the details to calculate K.

Best regards.

#5 firefox23

firefox23

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

Hi,

Mahdi,

I agree with firefox23 regarding the integration term. As for your results, you could make and order of magnitude estimate considering a CSTR like this:

V_CSTR=F_EB_inlet * X / r

You could provide more details to help others check your work, like the details to calculate K.

Best regards.

Thanks, i'll try it with your suggestions. Details for k are now also attached to the main post