Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Speed Ratio Of Screw Conveyors

screw screw conveyor screw feeder design speed ratio rotational speed additive

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Mahdi1980

Mahdi1980

Gold Member

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:36 AM

Dear friends,

One of my projects is the handling of some powder additives from a hopper to an extruder which is located far from the hopper and for this reason, I have to use two screw conveyors. The additives are materials like antioxidants, anti blocking , anti sleep agents and etc some of which are sticky so that they cannot be handled by other types of conveyors.

As you know, for conveying the powder materials by more than one conveyor, the rotational speed of them to be increased one by one up to downstream to avoid accumulation and chocking through the path.

You are requested to propose a rule to determine the minimum or normal speed ratio of these screw conveyors. For instance, if the speed of the first conveyor is 10 rpm what is the proper speed of the second one, 15 m/s, 20 m/s or higher.  If someone has a book, paper or standard as a reference or has any experience on this issue, I appreciate him/her for sending to me or post it here.

Email: mahdi80@gmail.com

Thank you in advance,

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,347 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:45 PM

Hi ,

Mahdi information is available on internet , let you google screw conveyor calculation to start with .

Hope this helps

Breizh

#3 Mahdi1980

Mahdi1980

Gold Member

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:58 PM

Hi Breizh,

I have found a lot of useful info on the web about designing principals of screw conveyors. However I did not see anything about my especial case.

I appreciate if you inform me on this subject.

Thanks in advance

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,347 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:48 AM

Hi Mahdi ,

As you said your material are difficult to handle .Let you follow my advise to contact vendors who can give guarantee on the process because they are familiar with a bunch of chemicals .

I've been operating a lot of conveyors in my career and I always let professionals to design my needs ( soda ash;sodium bicarbonate, aspirin, paracetamol, etc).

http://www.kwsmfg.co...or-capacity.htm

Good luck,

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 03 February 2017 - 07:45 AM.

#5 sgkim

sgkim

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:02 AM

Hi Mahdi

For a single screw conveyor, incremental-pitch type screw would be preferable, and for separate conveyors, inverter-speed-control motor seems suitable for your application.

Stefano