Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Full Port Gate Valve Standards

gate valve

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 WilliamN

WilliamN

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 02:32 PM

Dear peers,

Based on my understanding for API 600 (carbon steel gate valve), and API 603 (stainless steel Gate valve), if a vendor states that their gate valve meets the spec of either API 600 or API 603, the valve is a full port valve.  I am interested to get an second opinion from other professionals if my understanding is correct.

Thanks.

William

#2 Napo

Napo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:07 PM

William,

Normally the gate valves are reduced port, but you need to specifier if you need full-port or full-bore.

The Api 600 gives the range of flow pass, this is between reduced to full port. In your situation if your supplier warrantie that yours gate valves are full port is a good option.

Normally full port valve is more expensive that reduced port. Do you need really a full port valves?

Napo.

#3 WilliamN

WilliamN

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:48 PM

Napo,

thanks for your reply. API 520 , Part II states that "The flow area in the outlet isolation valve should be equal to greater than the outlet area of PRV".  This governs that the isolation valves on vent line should be full port.

API 600 specifies the standard for gate valves. its scope section used the wording " full port opening" among other terms. Some vendors list their valves meet API 600.  I try to get other peers' opinion that Meeting API 600 means a full port valve. For now, I have asked vendor to state their valves meet API 600 and full port. The vendor might think my request is redundant / nuisance.

William.

#4 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:47 AM

Bill,

Full port ball valve minimum bore diameters are provided in Annex A of ASME B 16.34. This is also cross-referenced in the standard "MSS SP-72-2010 - Ball Valves with Flanged or Butt-welding Ends for General Service". The following is mentioned in this standard:

Attached File  Full_Port_Ball_Valves.png   26.81KB   14 downloads

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ankur

#5 Napo

Napo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:34 AM

William,

The API 520, Pat II says:

"5.2 Minimum Diameter The nominal size of the inlet piping and fittings shall be the same as or larger than the nominal size of the pressure relief valve inlet connection as shown in Figure 2 and Figure 3.

For inlet piping to multiple relief valves, the piping that is common to multiple valves shall have a flow area that is at least equal to the combined inlet areas of the multiple PRVs connected to it."

Nominal size, this requieriment doesn´t make obligatory the full-port, maybe if you want to put that is your election.

Napo.