Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Centrifugal Compressor's Suction And Discharge Valve Failure (Fc)

centrifugal compressor suction valve discharge valve valve failure compressor failure

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 TX-2

TX-2

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:26 PM

I am curious to know what to expect if a centrifugal compressor that is running at a safe distance from both surge and stonewall has its suction valve fail (fail close) and also a separate scenario where only its discharge SDV fail closes.

I incorrectly asked this question in the simulation forum first but did not get any replies. 

https://www.cheresou...lve-failure-fc/

I have included a schematic of the installation. 

Edited by TX-2, 19 February 2018 - 05:35 AM.

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:57 PM

This is too much of a mess for me to even guess.

Bobby

#3 Root

Root

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:17 AM

1. if suction SDV close compressor will trip on low suction.
  2. if discharge SDV close compressor will trip on high discharge pressure.

NB: you should study C&E chart and you will get the answers of your question and more many more information. moreover you need to study control philosophy of your compressor. 

#4 TX-2

TX-2

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

Thanks Root. This is what I thought too, but needed confirmation. I do not have access to any documentation yet but thank you for your answer. I appreciate it.  

#5 Jiten_process

Jiten_process

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:55 AM

Usually, centrifugal compressor has suction override pressure controller which will open the antisurge valve to protect compressor going to surge due to excessive low suction pressure. 

top of that suction override pressure control there is low low suction pressure trip as highlighted above by Root. 

Usually suction ESD/UZV valve do not close due to malfuction as they are high reliable valve connected with IPS system. however, we do not negate the scenario. even if scenario occurs, the expectation is compressor suction override pressure controller should save the compressor from tripping itself by opening antisurge control valve. however, it requires very aggressive tuning of controller which is not good during normal operation. 

This is best studied in dynamic simulation scenario. In our on going project we have few high pressure (and high sour as well) injection compressors and we have carried out dynamic simulations where-in one of the scenario is sudden discharge block and sudden suction block. We found in some cases compressor was tripping on Low-Low suction pressure. Later, process control has modified the controller tuning and got it saved from tripping when this scenario is occur. 

Actually more than suction valve block, the practical scenario is upstream unit tripping. 

Hope this helps. 

#6 TX-2

TX-2

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:11 AM

Usually, centrifugal compressor has suction override pressure controller which will open the antisurge valve to protect compressor going to surge due to excessive low suction pressure. 

top of that suction override pressure control there is low low suction pressure trip as highlighted above by Root. 

Usually suction ESD/UZV valve do not close due to malfuction as they are high reliable valve connected with IPS system. however, we do not negate the scenario. even if scenario occurs, the expectation is compressor suction override pressure controller should save the compressor from tripping itself by opening antisurge control valve. however, it requires very aggressive tuning of controller which is not good during normal operation. 

This is best studied in dynamic simulation scenario. In our on going project we have few high pressure (and high sour as well) injection compressors and we have carried out dynamic simulations where-in one of the scenario is sudden discharge block and sudden suction block. We found in some cases compressor was tripping on Low-Low suction pressure. Later, process control has modified the controller tuning and got it saved from tripping when this scenario is occur. 

Actually more than suction valve block, the practical scenario is upstream unit tripping. 

Hope this helps. 

Thank you for your insight. I appreciate it.