Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Cooling A Process Stream To Sub-Zero Temperatures

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 kemisage

kemisage

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

Hi all,

I am a fourth-year undergraduate student. I am currently taking my Process Design course. I have a carbon dioxide stream (at about 17.5 psia and room temperature) with some water (~2.6 mol%) and nitrogen (<0.2mol%) as impurities. I am trying to remove water (as much as possible). I decided to go for a flash separator operating at the process pressure but I was able to obtain satisfactory separation only at around -70 F.

1. Do these conditions for a flash seem practical in the industry?

2. How can I cool my CO2 stream to a temperature that low? Do I use a refrigerant? 

Thank you for your response.

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:27 AM

Wrong choice. Carbon dioxide and water will form a hydrate at much higher temperature. So you should consider some other alternative. And refrigeration for such low temperature is quite expensive. Normal practice is to use glycol or solid desiccants for drying.

Bobby

#3 kemisage

kemisage

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:05 AM

Hi Bobby,

I feel so stupid that I forgot about the hydrate formation. I just realized that the simulator didn't have any binary interaction parameters for CO2 and water; it was giving me wrong results! Thank you so much for your response.

So it looks like drying might be the only thing I can do. If you don't mind me asking, how can I decide which drying substance to use? I understand that it can be a hassle to explain it here. I would be grateful if you can point me to a source.

#4 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:53 PM

Figure out what conditions you need for your product streams. What will you do with CO2 at that low pressure? If you will have to compress the CO2, it may be more practical to remove the water after compression. 

#5 kemisage

kemisage

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:06 AM

Hi Pilesar,

CO2 stream comes from a carbon capture plant at 121 kPa but it will be compressed to about 2MPa before it enters the reactor. Can you please expand a bit on why it would be more practical to remove water after compression?

Thank you.

#6 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:26 AM

In general, the condensing temperature of water is a function of the vapor pressure of water. The vapor pressure of water in your stream can be approximated by 17.5 psia multiplied by 0.026 (the mol% water). You can look this resulting water partial pressure up in a saturated steam table to find the approximate water dew point temperature. If you increase the total pressure of the stream, the water partial pressure also increases and the water dew point temperature increases. With the higher dewpoint temperature, you don't need to cool the stream so drastically to condense water. It is common after compression to have an exchanger to bring the temperature down close to ambient in order to separate additional liquid in a flash drum.

#7 kemisage

kemisage

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:42 AM

Thank you for the explanation. I can clearly see your point. I am on Easter break now but I was still thinking about my project since I was uncomfortable with the process I designed. I will make changes to my flowsheet and update you all with what I have done.