Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Heat Loss Calculation In Jacketed Vessel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 hadise

hadise

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:00 AM

Hello Dears,

Have a good time,

I want maintain a  urea formaldehyde storage tank  in 35C with jacketing of tank while ambient air temperature is 50C.

I can not calculate loss calculation (Q which is gained from ambient to storage tank) for jacketed storage tank with cooling water in jacket pipe.

I know heat loss calculation procedure without jacket and I have problem with jacket.

Is it different with heat loss calculation without jacket or I can calculate heat loss without considering jackets on storage tank, then calculate required jacket area and cooling water flow from proper equation which I drived from exxone practice for jacketed vessels?

Please help me,

Tanks for your kind answers.

#2 Mahdi1980

Mahdi1980

Gold Member

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:02 AM

Hadise,

There are some methods to design such a system.

But I believe that the following method would be a good way for your case:

Assume that no jacket is available and calculate the heat transfer between the vessel and the ambient. Then, at the basis of one hour and considering the inlet available temperature of cooling water and the outlet temp which commonly consider as inlet temp+5 C . then you can calculate the mass flow rate of water to remove this heat.

Attentions:

1- At the first step you shall calculate all the heat transfer mechanisms like convection and radiation from ambient via peripheral and roof of the vessel as well as convection from soil or concrete to the bottom of the vessel.

2- Please consider that the outlet temp of cooling water to be lower than the temperature of the material in your vessel.

3- You can consider an insulation material ( 50 mm ) to cover the cooling jacket to decrease the heat lost and compere the cost of material and construction with the status without insulation.