Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Is This A Credible Scenario

6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 J_Leo

J_Leo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:49 PM

Dear Fellow Engineers,

Please refer to the relief system sketch attached. This is only the simplified system to shown the scenario I am talking about.

I am sizing the PSV1 in the sketch. If the control valve to the drum fails open, more vapor flows to the drum.  Because the downstream PSV2 on the distillation column is set at lower pressure (150psig compared to 170psig), I expect PSV2 will relief first. The concern is there is a block valve (not CSO / LO) in the pass between PSV1 and 2. Should I consider the Control Valve Fail Open as a credible relief scenario for PSV1 sizing?

Thank you.

Regards,

Leo

Attached Files

Edited by J_Leo, 03 June 2017 - 08:36 PM.

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:02 PM

Sketch?

Bobby

#3 J_Leo

J_Leo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:37 PM

Bobby,

The sketch is added. I found the topic was posted twice so I tried to delete one. I deleted the sketch instead of the extra post by mistake.

#4 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:31 PM

You must consider all credible scenarios and control valve failure is credible. Do not ignore it. You should evaluate the system to determine the overpressure risk for the scenario. Perform the calculations. Perhaps the flow will pass through enough so that you do not have an overpressure event. There will be some pressure restriction in the downstream piping even if the downstream block valve is open. You must calculate that. There is a separate scenario for 'blocked outlet'. If the control valve on the inlet line is for flow control, then blocking the outlet will result in the inlet valve full open and that would be another credible scenario.

#5 J_Leo

J_Leo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:50 AM

You must consider all credible scenarios and control valve failure is credible. Do not ignore it. You should evaluate the system to determine the overpressure risk for the scenario. Perform the calculations. Perhaps the flow will pass through enough so that you do not have an overpressure event. There will be some pressure restriction in the downstream piping even if the downstream block valve is open. You must calculate that. There is a separate scenario for 'blocked outlet'. If the control valve on the inlet line is for flow control, then blocking the outlet will result in the inlet valve full open and that would be another credible scenario.

Hi Pilesar,

Thank you for your advice. I did the calculation already. Since we can only take half of the normal OVHD flow from the drum for credit, relief is required if this is a credible scenario. Based on your advice, relief is required through PSV1.

For the blocked outlet case, I thought it is a double jeopardy if we consider the control valve fail open at the same time, no matter what kind of control valve it is. Per your statement, it is no longer a double jeopardy if it is a flow control valve. Is this from any standards such as API? 

Thank you.

Regards,

Leo

#6 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

If you are the owner, it is up to you to decide. However, if you are doing engineering for a client, be sure you don't assume any unnecessary risk to your company. It's not uncommon for designers to base relief loads not only due to control valve failure, but to include normal flow, too, through the control valve bypass.

Bobby

#7 J_Leo

J_Leo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:08 PM

Bobby,

Thank you for the reminder. I considered 100% open for the bypass when I did the relief load calculation.

Regards,

Leo