Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Forces On A U-Bend

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Dudesons123

Dudesons123

Gold Member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:18 PM

Dear engineers/scientists,

I have been given a problem about forces on a U-bend: There is a horizontal pipe which has an 180° U-bend with a uniform inside diameter of 200 mm and carries a liquid petroleum fraction of density 900 kgm^-3 at a rate of 150 m^3h^-1. What is the force exerted by the liquid on the bend if the gauge pressure upstream and downstream of the bend are 100 kNm^-2 and 80 kNm^-2, respectively?

I had to resolve the thrust exerted by the flowing fluid on the horizontal bend. I had to assume that the gauge pressures of the liquid are distributed uniformly in the U-bend. Due to the fact that the u-bend has a uniform cross-section, the average velocity remains constant.

The answer in the book for the resolved force in the x-direction is 5554N but my answer is 5753.8N. I am not sure why this is the case. Please help me.

Thanks.

Attached Files

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:45 PM

http://www.engineeri...ends-d_968.html

let you consider this resource to support your work.

Good luck

Breizh

#3 Dudesons123

Dudesons123

Gold Member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:32 AM

Thanks for the reply, Breizh. I have used the online pipe bend resulting force calculator but because of the gauge pressure upstream is different than downstream I cannot be certain about the value of the resolved force in the x-direction. I just to want to clarify if my equation for the resolved force in the x-direction is correct and hence if my value for the resolved force in the x-direction is right.