Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Predicting Temperature Increase

No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Valentino111

Valentino111

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:22 AM

Hi Everyone,

Maybe you could consider this problem as very basic but I am finding myself struggling with coming up with what I think the prediction should be. 

I have got a semi batch/batch operation, in this operation initially I collect 1000 L water at 30C and once collected I start feeding in water at 83C at a rake of 31.1L/min to make up to 7000L and I am struggling to come up with a formula which will tell me how the temperature will increase as I am adding the water.

this was the initial approach based on calorimetry to determine the final temperature: Q(loss) = Q(gain)  

Now I expect that after using or deriving an integral equation from the energy balance I should get a value which is close to the value which I obtain from the above equation of which I do not. As when I attempt to draw a graph to show how the temperature will increase it becomes linear of which i dont think it should be.

The vessel is a 10000L stainless steel vessel which is split jacketed horizontally one side for the hot liquid and the other for the steam and is insulated. It has a bottom mounted stirrer. The reason for wanting to obtain this temperature distribution is cause I am attempting to optimize a process which I consider to be energy inefficient. 

One the spread sheet you find the equation which I derived from the energy balance, Just the Q in the equation am I correct to calculate it as the convective heat transfer for the liquid.

Some guidance will be appreciated thank you.

Attached File  Modelling Mixing Vessel.xlsx   24.4KB   2 downloads

Edited by Valentino111, 21 November 2017 - 06:36 AM.