Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Storage Tank Conditions

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 chessboss

chessboss

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

Hello, I have a distillation column to separate methanol and water. Methanol leaves the condenser at atmospheric pressure and saturated temperature. Is it necessary to further cool the methanol before it enters a storage tank. I have searched the forum and it appears that lpg, ethylene, propane are stored as saturated liquid, rather than subcooled. I was wondering if the same could be done for methanol.

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:34 AM

chessboss,

Please specify:

How much is the saturated temperature?

How much is the maximum ambient temperature?

#3 chessboss

chessboss

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:54 AM

Hi, the saturated temperature is 67C and the maximum ambient temperature is 40C.

#4 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:53 AM

Hi, the saturated temperature is 67C and the maximum ambient temperature is 40C.

chessboss,

Then it will be subcooled by ambient and can be stored either in a fixed roof under N2 blanketing or a floating roof tank.

#5 DB Shah

DB Shah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:26 AM

Methanol is sub cooled to reduce vapour losses from tank. To sub cool materials like LPG you need a heat sink which will be at lower temperature compared to saturation temperature of LPG. In this case cooling water will be handy media to sub cool methanol.

For small storage (100 to 500 MT) you may go with fixed roof tank with blanket N2, however as the storage capacity increases, it will be economical to store in a Internal floating roof tank.