Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

3-Stage Propane Ref Performance

New Blog Entry

Steam Tracing Design- posted in Ankur's blog

Deethanizer Column

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 abcdssjenfl

abcdssjenfl

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:12 AM

Edited by khayala963003, 25 January 2018 - 02:31 PM.

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:38 AM

I am designing distillation column in Aspen Hysys. I got -240C for distillation temperature. How can I increase it. I changed pressure, light key and heavy key compositions but temperature is still -240. 

Khayala,

In a distillation tower like a deethanizer, temperature is controlled by reboiler duty. Hence in order to increase distillation temperature try to increase the reboiler duty.

#3 Ersan

Ersan

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:02 AM

Try reducing the Reflux flow rate as well.

#4 Technical Bard

Technical Bard

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 240 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:07 PM

The operating pressure of the column is set by the temperature you can run the condenser at.  Additionally, you need to be able to get two phases (i.e. below the critical point).  The critical point of ethane is 32°C and 4884 kPaA, so this means you need to condense below this.  The highest pressure you could realistically design this column for is 4500 kPaA, to stay at least 5% away from the critical pressure.  However, high pressures make separations more difficult (relative volatilities get smaller).  For this reason, most de-ethanizers are run much colder, such as with propane refrigeration on the overhead.  If the refrigerant is at -40°C, then you can likely design to condense at between -35 and -30°C, with an overhead pressure 915-1065 kPaA.   If there is a lot of methane in the system, the pressure will need to be higher because the partial pressure of ethane in the overhead stream will be lower.