Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Combined Stress In Asme B31.4 Code

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 hussamjassem

hussamjassem

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:02 AM

Dear All,

In ASME B31.4 there are two equation for combined stress Tresca and von Mises , so which equation we can follow? and more applicable and conservative ?

Regards

Hussam

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:06 PM

Hussam:

The American Society of Mechanical Engineers has developed and overseen the ASME B31.4 - Pipeline Transportation Systems for Liquids and Slurries code.

This Code prescribes the requirements for the design, materials, construction, assembly, inspection, testing, operation, and maintenance of liquid pipeline systems between production fields or facilities, tank farms, above- or below ground storage facilities, natural gas processing plants, refineries, pump stations, ammonia plants, terminals (marine, rail, and truck), and other delivery and receiving points, as well as pipelines transporting liquids within pump stations, tank farms, and terminals associated with liquid pipeline systems.

This Code also prescribes requirements for the design, materials, construction, assembly, inspection, testing, operation, and maintenance of piping transporting aqueous slurries of nonhazardous materials such as coal, mineral ores, concentrates, and other solid materials, between a slurry processing plant or terminal and a receiving plant or terminal.

As such, this code is a tool for engineers - almost exclusively mechanical engineers - to oversee, administer, and interpret.  Rarely, if ever, are chemical engineers called upon to apply or administer this code.  As a Project Manager in the past, I have worked with mechanical engineers in applying this code - but only from a supervisory position.  I suspect many of our Forum members are also familiar with this code but, like myself, not experts in interpreting it.

I recommend you direct your query to ASME or to a professional mechanical engineer who can advise you on this section of the code.

#3 hussamjassem

hussamjassem

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:00 AM

Many thanks for your advice .