Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

3-Stage Propane Ref Performance

New Blog Entry

Steam Tracing Design- posted in Ankur's blog

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 abcdssjenfl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:45 AM

I would like to know if can I design kettle reboiler for deethanizer column. Bottom pressure is 18.12 bar and temperature is 52C. I want kettle reboiler beacuse I really have difficulties with thermosyphone reboiler and deadline is soon

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:15 AM

We don't know if you can design it or not. But a kettle is OK for the application. A thermosyphon is less costly. But many engineers might use a kettle for this service.

#3 abcdssjenfl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:45 AM

Bobby Strain:

Thank you

#4 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,481 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:50 AM

Bobby's comment is precisely correct.  I'll add some additional comments to try to help you through this:

• The subject of designing kettle reboilers has been discussed and treated many times in our Forums.  Be a smart student and start doing your basic homework by reading and studying some of the threads you will find in our valuable SEARCH engine, found in this webpage.
  • As a student, I am assuming you have been prepared (or you have prepared yourself) for this assignment.  This is process heat transfer and it involves many principles - not just a list of equations that you apply.  You have to know the basic engineering and heat transfer principles that apply to the specific application.  Failure to do this will end in a flawed design or one that simply won't work.
  • Kettle reboilers, and other submerged bundle equipment, are essentially pool boiling devices, and their design is based on data for nucleate boiling.  Our Forum experts - such as Bobby, Breizh, and many others have discussed this in past threads and have submitted valuable and applicable documentation on the subject.  I attach just a few to this post for your study and applicability.
  • Heat flux, nucleate boiling, and film boiling are all important items that need your full understanding before starting to design a pool boiling device such as a kettle reboiler.

Attached Files

#5 abcdssjenfl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:54 PM

Thank you so much