Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Propane Vessel Vapor Connection

propane pressure vessel conn

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 nivedita12

nivedita12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:32 AM

Dear Members

I am trying to find out the vapor  nozzle connection to the propane pressure vessel coming from a rail car.

I have "n" number of rail cars unloading propane to "K"  number of pressure vessels of propane.

My question is the vapor return during warm conditions  saturated at 160 psig  from rail cars through the 3 way valve to compressor which will fill the propane pressure vessel.s

Should the vapor return that sucks out the remaining propane from rail cars there by reducing the pressure at rail cars to fill in the pressure vessels be connected from bottom or top.

Here is the figure for review

Also how can i calculate the cooling time from Discharge pressure of compressor to ambient temperature of the pressure vessel, Please let me know .Thank you

Nivedita 

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:28 AM

I doubt if anyone knows exactly what you are talking about if you don't furnish at least a detailed flow diagram or sketch.

It is next to impossible to know HOW your piping is connected, and what "propane pressure vessels" you are filling - and what is the basic intention of your propane transfer - to unload, to depressurize, and at what pressures and temperatures.

Please take the time and make the effort to furnish our members with ALL the necessary basic data (includes a drawing) necessary to understand what your process looks like so that they can generate a correct and safe recommendation that you can employ or apply.  A drawing is a basic necessity since, for example, any pressure vessel can be piped and connected to have vapors removed (rather than liquid) using a top or bottom-located nozzle.  Show our members what you have in the detailed drawing.  You have failed to upload the drawing you refer to.

And also stop making duplicate posting(s) of the same topic - especially in the same Forum.  This is very confusing and leaves our members wondering which post to respond to.  This only leads to chaos and confusion - besides being unnecessary and inefficient in processing our threads for the Search Machine function.  This is a waste of everyone's time.

#3 nivedita12

nivedita12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:48 PM

First of all my apologies ,second of all the duplication was due to the loading time i have no intention to waste people's time. I did attach a sketch but because of the loading time it got lost. 

I am unloading propane from rail cars to propane pressure vessel,

Propane vessel capacity - 90% full -50000 gallons

At warm conditions the vapor return from the pressure vessel to rail cars  -150 ACFM

At cold conditions the vapor return from the pressure vessel to rail car - 180 ACFm

The discharge pressure of the compressor - 150 psig to the rail cars.

Rail car pressure is assumed to be 75 psig at 100% full 

Rail car pressure is assumed to be 20  psig at 2% full 

How to calculate cool down rate from 135 F at 150 psig  to 85 F when the compressor discharges vapor from Rail cars to pressure vessel .Taking the pressure at  85 F as saturated condition for the pressure vessel.

I wanted to know the top fill versus bottom fill which one is better for vapors into the pressure vessel.

Attached is the sketch with details provided

Thank you

Attached Files